Collecting userids and inserting row for them

EchoFool

Hey,

Im busy making a social network style wall feed for my site where people make a status and people can comment.

Now when some one comments the users active in the comment wall + original status maker gets notified but now the issue is theres so many while loops going on im thinking there must be a better way?

My current method is as follows:

1) Get the userid of the person who made the status

2) Collect all unique userid's of all the people who made a comment

3) Create the array of userids

4) Loop the array and insert row after row of each userid to notify them a comment was made on a feed they are active on.

Thing is - im thinking when i scale it up with alot of users this looping is going to increase the load alot so is there really any more efficient method i can use ?

I would do it like this:

1. each status phrase has an id (statusID). Statuses are stored in table1

2. each comment has a time/date and the statusID they refer to, stored in table2

when you show a status, you also retrieve the statusID, then you go into table2 and retrieve all comments that have the same statusID, order them by datedesc,time desc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.