Counting Downloaded And Previewed Amont Belong To A Particular File In A Web Sit

thara

hi...

Im developing a web site to store a audio and video songs and it enable to download the songs for users. most of features I have finished at the moment. I need to count download users amount in a song and also need to count how many users view it only. actually I dont have any idea to do it using php. so anyone can me give any idea how to do it.

thanks in advance for your help....

[attachment deleted by admin]

that kind of depends how you have things set up. if you have a downloader.php page, that sends out the headers and grabs the file, forcing it to download, you can simply put a counter there, but this will be triggered every time a user starts a download, and does not necessarily mean they actually finish the downloads (they can cancel mid-way). Same applies for the viewing page, just set up a counter for each songID in your songs mysql table. (i.e. add an INT field and increment) with something like

mysql_query("update `songs` set songCounter = songCounter +1 where songID = '$sid'",$conn);

as far as I know, there's really no way to correctly detect if the user finished the download, unless you embed some kind of applet in the download, or use flash, or something like that... (PHP is server-side, and the download happens on the client-side... you would need the client to send you some info AFTER the download, which will probably not happen).

You can however count the size of each file in bytes, and use http headers to try and detect how many bytes have been downloaded, but this will be complicated and not as accurate as you would wish. You could also "guess" if download was completed based on the time since they start the download, the file size, the connection speed (which you need to establish before the download) and the time of the user's next activity on the website after the download. Also not a brilliant solution.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.