How do you use ' and " to combine commands?

rusking

I have 3 variables that im still cleaning up but they produce results at least. I have spent a couple days searching how to execute (exec or shell_exec) them in order. The best iv found, this is done like

$statementa = 'cd test"' then do this"'
exec=($statementa)

but what i am doing is a bit more complicated

$tempFolder = 'C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\';
$filename7Z = 'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe';
$sessionKey = '12345'

$commandtest1= 'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe a ' .$tempFolder. 'c' .$sessionKey. '.7z C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\ helpdesk.txt icon1.ico icon2.ico icon3.ico winvnc.exe'; //semi working, copies entire dir
$commandtest2 = 'copy /b C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\support\\7zS.sfx+ C:\\xmapp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\config.txt+'.$tempFolder.'c'.$sessionKey.'.7z c'.$sessionKey.'.exe'; //create executable in build directory \\\\not working\\\\\\
$commandtest3 = 'del /F /Q '.$tempFolder.'\\c'.$sessionKey.'.7z'; //remove *.7z from %tmp% directory \\\\\\\\\working\\\\\\\
//session_write_close();

exec($commandtest1);

Where i cant seem to find any guidance is, if i wrap these in " then is looks fine in dreamweaver but produces nothing. I think it may be the variables but i cant be sure.

I tried todo $exec($commandtest1 & $commandtest2) but that didn't help any then i tired ($commandtest1 | $commandtest2) still noting. It seems i can just have three exec so i have to comine into one however i have several breaks where it need todo the first then sencond then third. Please someone point me in the correct direction. I must have read http://php.net/manual/en/function.exec.php at least 6 times and either miss is each time or haven't been able to apply it to my code correctly

hmm im not sure i follow it very well. Let me try..

So would $commandtest and $commandtest2 combined look like

$commandtest= "'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe a ' .$tempFolder. 'c' .$sessionKey. '.7z C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\ helpdesk.txt icon1.ico icon2.ico icon3.ico winvnc.exe' copy /b C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\support\\7zS.sfx+ C:\\xmapp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\config.txt+'.$tempFolder.'c'.$sessionKey.'.7z c'.$sessionKey.'.exe'";

all the escapes are \\ to indicate that they are backslashes. Or are you saying to drop the ' and replace with " becuase of the below statement?

As in single quoted strings, escaping any other character will result in the backslash being printed too. Before PHP 5.1.1, the backslash in \{$var} had not been printed.

That makes me think if im using single, that two backslashes will be printed. Wow im even lost in the help lol

hmm im not sure i follow it very well. Let me try..

So would $commandtest and $commandtest2 combined look like

$commandtest= "'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe a ' .$tempFolder. 'c' .$sessionKey. '.7z C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\ helpdesk.txt icon1.ico icon2.ico icon3.ico winvnc.exe' copy /b C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\support\\7zS.sfx+ C:\\xmapp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\config.txt+'.$tempFolder.'c'.$sessionKey.'.7z c'.$sessionKey.'.exe'";

It should be:

$commandtest= "'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe a " .$tempFolder. "c" .$sessionKey. ".7z C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\ helpdesk.txt icon1.ico icon2.ico icon3.ico winvnc.exe' copy /b C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\support\\7zS.sfx+ C:\\xmapp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\config.txt+".$tempFolder."c".$sessionKey.".7z c".$sessionKey.".exe'";

If you use double quotes( " ) to start/end the string, when throwing in variables into the string you would need to also use double quotes for that like...

$var = "Hello " . $person . ", Enjoy your stay!"; // this works

or when using double quotes you could simply do this...

$var = "Hello $person, Enjoy your stay!"; // this works

It's a little different with single quotes( ' )...

$var = 'Hello ' . $person . ', Enjoy your stay!'; // this works

this won't parse the variable...

$var = 'Hello $person, Enjoy your stay!'; // will display $person instead of it's value

so in

winvnc.exe' copy /b

is the php sending return (enter) after the winvnc.exe and then sending copy /b etc...?

Because i cant really see whats happening and i don't see a result. I think i may have tried this but scratched it because it produced nothing. I assume if this is in fact correct there is a minor problem with the execution. I cant be sure without seeing it. One time i tried the exec($comamndtest , $output) , reading this from the tutorial or help i never say were $output was defined. i think i used a >2 something another aswell and still not much luck. I keep trying to find a logging process till after i did the code looked soo messy i was confused what i was doing again. I guess what im asking is what is the cleanest most efficient way to log the out put so i see where the failure is in the suggestion you gave me. Not saying your wrong, i just may have not stated something earlier.

Please someone point me in the correct direction. I must have read http://php.net/manual/en/function.exec.php at least 6 times and either miss is each time or haven't been able to apply it to my code correctly

I have and am still not sure how, as in my last statement i get mixed or useless results. Not sure which $results or >2 etc to use

<?php

$tempFolder = 'C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\'; // location of temporary folder (must be writable by webserver), DON'T include trailing slash
$filename7Z = 'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe'; // 7zip executable filename '7za' or '7zr'
$sessionKey = 'iworked';

$commandtest = "'C:\\xampp\\7-zip\\7z.exe a " .$tempFolder. "c" .$sessionKey. ".7z C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\' copy /b C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\remote\\support\\7zS.sfx+ C:\\xmapp\\htdocs\\remote\\client\\config.txt+".$tempFolder."c".$sessionKey.".7z c".$sessionKey.".exe'"; 

$output = exec($commandtest);
echo "<pre>$output</pre>";

?>

No file and a blank page. Don't see any output results. Any ideas...i must be missing something very basic

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.