Constants are not defined??

Nethox

Hi,

I have a small CMS I coded and developped on my local WAMP server and everything worked fine but when I decided to export everything to my hostgator server I realized that the constants I define in some of my includes are not being defined..

Here is one of the errors I get :

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'LIB_PATHDSdatabase.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/nethox/public_html/photo_gallery/includes/photograph.php on line 2

You can see that LIB_PATH is not defined and even the .DS. is not working..

Here is a sample of the code I made :

<?php
// Defining core paths
// Defining them as absolute paths to make sure that require_once works as expected

// DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR is a PHP pre-defined constant
// (will do \ for Windows, / for Unix) 
defined('DS') ? null : define('DS', '/');

defined('SITE_ROOT') ? null : define('SITE_ROOT', 'http://www.lemontree-designs.com'.DS.'photo_gallery');

defined('LIB_PATH') ? null : define('LIB_PATH', SITE_ROOT.'/includes');

defined('LOG_PATH') ? null : define('LOG_PATH', SITE_ROOT.DS.'logs');

defined('PUBLIC_AREA') ? null : define('PUBLIC_AREA', 'http://www.lemontree-designs.com'.DS.'photo_gallery'.DS.'public');

// Load config file first
require_once(LIB_PATH."/config.php");

// Load basic functions next so that everything after can use them
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."functions.php");

// Load core objects
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."session.php");
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."database.php");
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."pagination.php");
// Load database-related classes
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."user.php");
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."photograph.php");
require_once(LIB_PATH.DS."comment.php");

?>

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT : For the sake of debugging, I've changed the defined value of DS to '/' instead of DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR to see if it's what caused an issue..

Don't include PHP files via an HTTP path. Use either the absolute or relative path on the filesystem. From the looks of it LIB_PATH is in the root folder so therefore a path like this should suffice.

defined('LIB_PATH') ? null : define('LIB_PATH', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'includes');
Placing the directory separator before the path indicates that the path is relative to the root directory.

Also PHP has a constant called DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR which should be of use to you.

The problem is occurring in photograph.php -

in /home/nethox/public_html/photo_gallery/includes/photograph.php on line 2

You are using a URL to include files. That is creating two problems. 1) Only the output from the file is being included/required, the same as if you browsed to the file, and 2) anything you define in the main file's scope, like defined constants, don't exist in the included/required file because it is being parsed and executed in a completely separate http request/process.

You should be including/requiring files using a file system path, not a URL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.