I'd like to create a website like this

dtommy79

Hi,

First of all, I'm not asking anyone to write the code for me, I'd just like someone with more experience to point me in the right direction.

I know HTML and a little bit of php. I think the best way to learn more about php is to actually create something. So this is what I'd like to do:

I want to create a subtitle website that allows people to submit small .zip files through a form with various fields. then this submission would be listed on the main page (with the details such as movie title, language etc) and people could download it. Should this file be stored in database or in a separate directory?

Some kind of backend would also be necessary, I guess, to handle submissions (edit, delete).

What would be the best way to start such a project?

Thanks

Your first step would simply be to learn PHP.  Basic form processing and upload control is one of the best ways to learn.

You'll want to store these files on the filesystem but use a database to store their locations.  That way, you get the reliability and speed of storing files on the filesystem but the ability to search and update like a database.

Also note that you might get a letter from some lawyers.  Movie scripts are copyrighted and protected works.  I am not a lawyer, but this sounds like a bad idea.

-Dan

Yeah, I think you are a little ahead of yourself. You might as well say you want to build a two-story cape cod style house - no one is going to be able to tell you how in one post and even if they could you probably wouldn't know enough to understand what they are tell you.

You could break the project into tons of small steps, and ask how to do each step, but if you find yourself stuck on too many of the steps, you might just want to go through a couple more books / tutorials.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.