PHP SQL string query using WHERE AND commands - Going nuts!

jonnewbie12

Sorry to be dim. I am sue there is a simple answer to this.  I am trying to build a PHP page that returns the value of a column and a row from an SQL database.  All the connections and servers are running fine.  I am running PHP5.2.16. 

Put simply I am trying to get the price of material when it is a certain width and drop.  The first column shows the width the second shows the drop and the third shows the price.  I am using Dreamweaver CS5.  I have a simple form on the page that has two fields, one for width and one for drop.  When the user enters the value in the form I want it to query the database and retrieve the price where the form fields match BOTH database columns for width and drop.  I can do it for one column but not for both.  I have tried all different permutations of the WHERE and AND commands but cant seem to get it to work.  This is my latest attempt.  I am sure there is an easier way.  Can someone PLEASE help?

The Browser keeps saying:

"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'drop =NULL' at line 1"

Here is the code for the whole page which is very short:

<?php require_once('Connections/blindserver.php'); ?>

<?php

if (!function_exists("GetSQLValueString")) {

function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "")

{

if (PHP_VERSION < 6) {

$theValue = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;

}

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {

case "text":

$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";

break;   

case "long":

case "int":

$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";

break;

case "double":

$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? doubleval($theValue) : "NULL";

break;

case "date":

$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";

break;

case "defined":

$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;

break;

}

return $theValue;

}

}

mysql_select_db($database_blindserver, $blindserver);

$query_Recordset1 = sprintf("SELECT price FROM prices WHERE width = %s AND drop =%s", GetSQLValueString($_REQUEST['width'], "int"), GetSQLValueString($_REQUEST['drop'], "int"));

$Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $blindserver) or die(mysql_error());

$row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);

$totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">;

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">;

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<style type="text/css">

.kj {

font-size: 16px;

color: #000;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="">

<p>

<label for="width">width</label>

<input name="width" type="text" id="width" />

</p>

<p>

<label for="drop">drop</label>

<input name="drop" type="text" id="drop" />

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" />

</p>

</form>

<p><span class="kj"></span><?php echo $row_Recordset1['price']; ?></p>

</body>

</html>

<?php

mysql_free_result($Recordset1);

?>

Here mate.. this will dump all data in HTML from a table where fields match your lookup .

$query = "field1,field2,field3 from tablename"; $result = mysql_query($query); while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {foreach ($row as $data) {echo "$data<BR>";}}

... and this will dump all data into HTML where fields match a specific query:

$query = "select * from table where fieldname like '".$_POST['search query']."' and fieldname like '".$_POST['search query']."'";

I know I am pushing my luck but I dont suppose you know how to get only the last record within that code as I am actually trying to enable the user to enter a value that falls withtin certain ranges using the <= commands?  Here is how it looks now.

mysql_select_db($database_blindserver, $blindserver);

$query_Recordset2 = "SELECT prices.price FROM prices where prices.width <= '".$_POST['width']."' and prices.drop <= '".$_POST['drop']."'";

$Recordset2 = mysql_query($query_Recordset2, $blindserver) or die(mysql_error());

$row_Recordset2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset2);

$totalRows_Recordset2 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset2);mysql_select_db($database_blindserver, $blindserver);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.