html comments and IE8 (or any IE really)

richrock

I've got some buttons, and for sake of reference, they have comments in them to define them, eg:

<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_prev" style="position: absolute; left: 0px;" value="back"><!--back--></button>
<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_next" style="position: absolute; right: 0px;" value="next"><!-next--></button>

You'll notice that the second one has a typo - my bad.  Instead of <!-- it's got <!-

What I'd like to know is can this cause the button tag to stop working?  I've got loads of complaints about the next button not working (although it does on my IE8) and am trying to narrow down potential areas of issue.

Well, I'm debugging someone else's code - they've since moved on and left me a whole load of work :-(

from the looks of it, you're going to have a fun time at it.. the previous coder doesn't look to have been very efficient.. good luck!  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Right, sent code back to client, and they're still getting issues with this form sending either previous or next.  I'm stumped.  Works on our machines, can't find any solutions. :wtf:

Here's the code now:

<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_prev" style="position: absolute; left: 0px;" value="back"></button>
<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_next" style="position: absolute; right: 0px;" value="next"></button>

Any ideas why this doesn't work in IE?  Firefox, Chrome and Safari have all tested okay, and our client's getting shirty  :confused:

<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_prev" style="position: absolute; left: 0px;" value="back"></button>
<button type="submit" name="task" class="button validate signup_next" style="position: absolute; right: 0px;" value="next"></button>

Any ideas why this doesn't work in IE?  Firefox, Chrome and Safari have all tested okay, and our client's getting shirty  :confused:

Can you find any other machines anywhere to test this on, some of the people I work for think you just sit down type one or two things on the keyboard and your done.

Also

Do you style with the  class="button validate signup_prev" and next? I know it can have spaces but try it without them, over time all browsers have issues.

Can you combine the inline and external style?

If it's on the internet and all your client has to do is sit down and look at it thats better, if you have to send it to them and they load it up then find the mistake thats a b.

Also if its in their memory and you fix it and they don't reload or refresh it thats a b.

I feel sorry for you especially if their machine is the only one it's messing up on. When I was doing the local chambers work it was hard to believe all the little things that people's machine would add to the style.  From odd fonts amd font sizes to css drown down menus that didn't work right (should I say it? on AT&Ts IE)

Good luck

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.