Finding the Index of a list item which contains a link element with a class.

Jumpy09

Alright so I have this:

var tabindex = $("ul#myid").index("li > a.current");

The problem is it isn't quite working the way I want it to.

Edit: I do see the problem with this, but I'm still not quite sure how to do what I am aiming for.  I know you would do something like $("#myid li").index("#listid");, so I'm still not entirely sure how to get what I want.

Take the following code as an example:

<ul id="myid">
<li><a href="#blah1">My Link #1</a></li>
<li><a href="#blah1" class="current">My Link #1</a></li>
<ul>

Basically I need to pull the index of the <li> which contains the <a> that has the current class.  Basically index need to return 2, but either returns 0 or -1.  I am testing it where the current class is on the 3rd to 5th link, so 0 or -1 isn't really an option of what it should spit out.  I figure it is because the <a> is in the <li> which would result in 0 to be the index.  The issue is I cannot place "current" on the <li>, which of course makes things a bit dumb.

From what I thought is it would use the <ul> as a primary parent, then select the <li> of the <a> that contains the current class.  Everything in my mind states this is right, or at least should be right.. but obviously it isn't.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have done some preliminary Googling to find an answer, but I'm kind of on a tight deadline and don't have hours to spend debugging this.  I figure it is a rather simple solution, but so far the results from Google have not landed me in the right place to get the answer I need.

Kindest Regards,

Jumpy09

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.