Function that creates a toplist from comment submit in Wordpress

pahunrepublic

I want to display next to the post content values that are submitted through a custom comment field. The function that I'm trying to make is

creates a top list where the top 5 are the most submitted words appear. I want to make that post specific. For each individual single post must have a top 5 words list. Now it makes a top list from all the submitted words at all the posts.

Here is what I did so far:

<?php 
add_action('show_etiqueta','et_get_post_user_etiqueta');
function et_get_post_user_etiqueta( $post_id ){
    $approved_comments = et_get_approved_comments( $post_id );
    global $wpdb;
    $result = $wpdb->get_results($wpdb->prepare("SELECT meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM $wpdb->commentmeta WHERE meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 1", $post_id));
echo "<table>";
//foreach($result as $key => $value)
foreach ( $result as $post_id => $value)
{
echo "	<tr>

<td>" . $value->meta_value . "</td>
		<td>" . $value->countof . "</td>
	</tr>
";
}
echo "</table>";
update_post_meta($post_id,'_et_inreview_comments_etiqueta',$result);
return $result;
}?>

'etiqueta' means label in English

The tables that are affected are:

-wp_commentmeta: meta_id; comment_id; meta_key; meta_value columns

-wp_postmeta: meta_id; post_id; meta_key; meta_value

Can anyone help me with this?

Try the following prepared statement:

$wpdb->prepare('SELECT cm.meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM $wpdb->commentmeta cm, $wpdb->comments c WHERE cm.comment_id=c.comment_ID AND c.comment_post_id=%d AND cm.meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 5", $post_id)

Explanation: The commentmeta table does not have the post ID in it but the comments table does (in the column comment_post_id), so in order to use the post ID you need to JOIN the two tables. To cut down on typing I have aliased them as cm and c. The %d in the where clauses is a placeholder for $post_id. Together the WHERE clauses should return results with the correct meta_key and the current post. LIMIT 1 would only give the top result, LIMIT 5 is probably what you want instead. Then print out the table:

echo "<table>";
foreach ( $result as $value)
{
echo "	<tr>

</tr>
";
}
echo "</table>";

There should be no need to update the post meta data, nor return any value from the function.

I tried with this solution but no output. It doesn't display the value, than I tested in phpmyadmin to see if the SQL query gives a result:

SELECT cm.meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM wp_commentmeta cm, wp_comments c WHERE cm.comment_id=c.comment_ID AND c.comment_post_id=45 AND cm.meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 5

the query is good but only if I set the comment_post_ID: c.comment_post_id=45

as you can see.

Any idea how to make it display for each single post the corresponding value?

The %d in the prepared statement should be taking care of getting the value from each single post. It may be useful to see what is going on behind the scenes. Try running:

<?php 
add_action('show_etiqueta','et_get_post_user_etiqueta');
function et_get_post_user_etiqueta( $post_id ){
    global $wpdb;
    $query = $wpdb->prepare("SELECT cm.meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM $wpdb->commentmeta cm, $wpdb->comments c WHERE cm.comment_id=c.comment_ID AND c.comment_post_id=%d AND cm.meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 5", $post_id);
    echo '<p>The post ID is: '.$post_id.' and the sql query is: '.$query.'</p>';
    $result = $wpdb->get_results($query);
    echo '<p>The query result is:</p>';
    echo nl2br(print_r($result, TRUE));
}?>

Then post the output so we can try to figure out why the query is working when put in directly but not when you run it from the PHP.

it gives me this:

The post ID is: and the sql query is: SELECT cm.meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM wp_commentmeta cm, wp_comments c WHERE cm.comment_id=c.comment_ID AND c.comment_post_id=0 AND cm.meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 5

The query result is:

Array

(

)

The solution was that we needed a global variable inside the function that represents a post from the Wordpress database:

global $post;
    global $wpdb;

Finally the function looks like this

<?php
add_action('show_etiqueta','et_get_post_user_etiqueta', 10, 0);
function et_get_post_user_etiqueta(){
    global $post;
    global $wpdb;
    $post_id = $post->ID;
    $result = $wpdb->get_results($wpdb->prepare("SELECT cm.meta_value, count(*) AS countof FROM $wpdb->commentmeta cm, $wpdb->comments c WHERE cm.comment_id=c.comment_ID AND c.comment_post_id = %d AND cm.meta_key='et_comment_etiqueta' GROUP BY meta_value ORDER BY countof DESC LIMIT 1", $post_id));
echo "<table>";
foreach($result as $key => $value)
//foreach ( $result as $value)
{
echo "	<tr>

</tr>
";
}
echo "</table>";
$result = $value->meta_value;
if ( !get_post_meta($post_id,'_et_inreview_comments_etiqueta',true) ) update_post_meta($post_id,'_et_inreview_comments_etiqueta',$result);
return $result;

}?>

Thank you erm410 for your help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.