htmlspecialchars_decode Query

epseix

Hi everyone.

I'm struggling to figure this one out and hope someone can help. I completely understand the principles of this function - however - I am using pre-defined strings and entering them into a database.

For some reason whenever there is a single quote, the pre-defined string uses ' instead of '

I am trying to parse this, decode the string, and use htmlspecialchars function to convert it and enter into my database, however htmlspecialchars_decode does not seem to recognise ' - only the likes of " and &

In order to convert: Sam's House -> Sam's House -> Sam's House I have tried using:

$str = "Sam's house";
$str = htmlspecialchars_decode($str);
$new = htmlspecialchars($str, ENT_QUOTES);

However, this returns: Sam's House.

The decoding function seems to fail.

any ideas?

Much appreciated in advance!

htmlspecialchars_decode will require its second parameter to be set to ENT_QUOTES in order to parse the apostrophe html character. The default value for the second parameter is ENT_COMPAT, which will leave single quotes unconverted. where is this predefined string coming from? While ' is an except-able character, ' should more than likely be used.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.