Joomla, anyone?

Arty Ziff

The *Official* Joomla Forums are essentially useless, for several reasons.

Possibly it is the tidal wave of "noobs" who have installed Joomla (or more likly had their web host install it) but haven't got a clue what a CMS is or how to approach working out a problem by themselves ("I just installed Joomla, how do I make a MMORPG with it?")

Or it may be that Joomla is used by a lot of money grubbing web developers who don't want to share their secrets (seriously - often serious questions are met with "I know the answer. For a fee I can fix that for you...").

Either way, I've never found the official Joomla Forums to be useful in a timely sense. Eventually (if you pester enough and wait... and wait...) you *might* get a useful answer or be pointed in a useful direction, but more likely not.

So, my question is: Is there any other *active* Joomla developer community or a web dev site with a dedicated Joomls forum?

I'm using Joomla. I've had experience with v 1.5 and am moving up to 1.7 on a new project. Thanks for any input to the effect that Joomla is a piece of shit and why am I not using Drupal or "rolling my own", but I've already given those issues some thought!

Thanks,

- Artifical Zifferellimeister

Maybe things have degenerated, but it didn't use to be that way.  The recent evolution of joomla has probably contributed highly to the confusion.  I worked on a gallery module back in the 1.x days, and did a 1.5x site recently with K2 and even since then, Joomla is like a new product in many ways.  It is not a piece of crap at all, and many of the things that I thought were ludicrous when I was working on the gallery module, have been addressed.

However, what I have always found is that the documentation and tutorials only get you so far.  To truly be successful you have to roll up your sleeves and get into the code, both for important modules you may be using, for templates, and the core in order to figure out how they work.  It doesn't hurt to be able to reverse engineer the database as well, which I've done both for core and some modules. 

I guess it very much comes down to what exactly your issues are.  It sounds like your expectations might not be realistic, in terms of the type and timeliness of the type of support you want. 

Oh, I've done some serious work in building and modifying 1.5 modules and extensions.

But these days it seems hard to get good discussions going with serious "under the hood" questions and problems.

I'm more than up to rolling up my sleeves with it!

1.7 looks very nice indeed, looks to have become quite a mature project.

- AZ

I have been tinkering with joomla for several years now. And I do agree the support forums have had a decline in useful information over the years.  And I do believe it is do to the overwhelming flooding from noobs who are to lazy to perform a search.  Questions get asked over and over again.  I know myself I use to answer lots of Q&A but I eventually just stopped looking and responding due to the mind numbness of having to repeat myself over and over again.

I have been tinkering with joomla for several years now. And I do agree the support forums have had a decline in useful information over the years.  And I do believe it is do to the overwhelming flooding from noobs who are to lazy to perform a search.  Questions get asked over and over again.  I know myself I use to answer lots of Q&A but I eventually just stopped looking and responding due to the mind numbness of having to repeat myself over and over again.

That's kind of the nature of support forums.

The same thing happens here. There has been 3-4 active topics with the same solution many times.

Yes, but the Joomla forums seem to be particularly "mind numbing".

I'm not kidding when I say they are flooded with posts like this:

"I just downloaded this, can you tell me how to make a Web site?"

and

"How can I make a MMORPG with this?"

I mean, come on! It's a CMS... And if you can't figure out "how to make a Web site with this", well, I just don't know...

Forget serious questions with serious answers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.