echo " cupcakes, ".$_SESSION['delcol'].", with the following toppings: ";	
$array1 = $_SESSION['notopping'];
$array2 = $_SESSION['topping'];
$resultam = array_merge($array1, $array2);
$last = array_pop($resultam);
$topping = implode(', ', $resultam) .' & ' .$last;
echo $topping;
?>

I have two arrays which I want to join together, if $_SESSION['notopping'] this can contain 1 - 6.  $_SESSION['topping'] can contain vanilla, chocolate or chocolate orange.  What I'm trying to achieve is to merge the arrays so that it shows like  1 x Vanilla, 2 x Chocolate & 3 x Choc Orange.  As it was it was formatted so it showed just the toppings (with commas and ampersand).  The code above appears as this : 1, 2, 3, Vanilla, Chocolate & Choc Orange - the two arrays are separated out, what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Hmmm, yeah when I was researching with one to use I thought array_combine would be better but it doesn't work .... when I change array_merge to array_combine, this is all it displays : & Chocolate

When I use it with array_merge it displays : 1, 1, Vanilla & Chocolate - so that appears to work better? Maybe I've formatted wrong within PHP but I'm in unknown territory for me!

$a = array(2,6);
$b = array('chocolate', 'orange');
$c = array_combine($b, $a);
print_r($c);
/*Array
(
    [chocolate] => 2
    [orange] => 6
)*/
foreach ( $c as $topping => $amount ) {
   echo "{$amount} servings of {$topping}\n";
}
/*2 servings of chocolate
6 servings of orange*/

-Dan

Using this code (I had to change variable $a and $b) :

<?php
$a = array($_SESSION['notopping']);
$b = array($_SESSION['topping']);
$c = array_combine($b, $a);
print_r($c);

foreach ( $c as $topping => $amount ) {
   echo "{$amount} servings of {$topping}\n";
}
?>

I get this output - ( [Array] => Array ( [ 0 ] => 1 [1] => 3 [2] => 5 ) ) which is right on one level (it got the numbers correct) but it's missing the array from the topping name.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

I did try withot the array() but I get this error : Warning: array_combine() [function.array-combine]: Both parameters should have an equal number of elements - not sure where I'm going wrong here, to be honest all I need to do now is just make it so I can output the number then the topping, so I can insert into mysql.

Cheers

Jason

Well...both arrays need to have an equal number of elements.

Are you telling me that you're going to have a list of 2,3,4 and another list of Chocolate,Orange, and you're going to somehow make the computer figure out that they wanted 2 of Chocolate and 3 of Orange and 4 of...what?  How, on paper, would you take "2,3,4" and "Chocolate,Orange" and get the output you're looking for?  Maybe we're not understanding what you actually want.  It seemed, up until just now, that you had an array of "quantities required" and an array of "type required" and you just needed to put them together.

The system as it is - you choose how many toppings there are (possible max 6) then next page, it dynamically creates a drop down box for each selected topping. All I need to do is associate the number to the topping. Why it appears to be missing one topping I'm not quite sure. This is the deepest I've got into php yet, I'm still on my learning curve.

My apologies if my knowledge of php is someone seriously limited. I know the code I've already done will be messy & not to great standards but so far it works. I can send you a copy of the entire script as it stands now if that's any help?

Thanks for your help on this,

Jason

Ok then you're totally doing it wrong.

In the form that creates the drop-downs, NAME THEM AFTER THE TOPPING.

Look:

<form method="POST">
  <select name="toppings[chocolate]">
     <option value=1>1</option>
     <option value=1>2</option>
     <option value=1>3</option>
  </select>
  <select name="toppings[orange]">
     <option value=1>1</option>
     <option value=1>2</option>
     <option value=1>3</option>
  </select>
  <input type="submit" />
</form>

When you submit this form, $_POST['toppings'] will be an array with the key being the topping name, and the value being what they chose from the drop-down.

If you have full control of this data, there's no reason for you to be trying to associate random parallel arrays.

I follow now, I've managed to sort it dynamically for the drop down as prior to all of this, you can choose either 6, 12, 24 or 36 - each being dynamically created into a drop down (with the selected number).  Basically, if you choose 6 cupcakes, two toppings - you must select two toppings which total 6, same for 12, 24 etc.  I have this to do with another option too but I will get this fully functioning first.

So now I have this in place, the toppings array will be more useable for what I need it for?  Will experiment now with this lot.

Thanks so much!

Jason

Here's the code I have to output using the recommended solution above

<?php
foreach($_SESSION['notopping'] as $key => $value) {
$_SESSION['topping2'] = " $value x $key ";
echo $_SESSION['topping2'];
}
?>

How do I use this as one array (outside of the foreach it will only display the final value in the array).  I need to insert this all into a database.

Thanks,

Jason

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.