Joomla Xcache Question

Arty Ziff

Symptoms:

Firsrt, please note that I have the cache plug-in disabled, and caching turned off in the global config.

When I make changes to categories and articles, these changes do in fact take (for example, changing the description of a cat).

BUT, I am returned to a server error page:

The website encountered an error while retrieving http://mysite.net/administrator/index.php?option=com_categories&extension=com_content&layout=edit&id=19. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

I suspect the common denominator is changes that require writing to the configuration.php file.

Now, when I check the Apache error logs, I find this:

PHP Fatal error:  xcache_list() [<a href='function.xcache-list'>function.xcache-list</a>]: xcache.admin.user and xcache.admin.pass is required in /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/cache/storage/xcache.php on line 141, referer: http://mysite.net/administrator/index.php?option=com_categories&view=category&layout=edit&id=19&extension=com_content

Work-Around:

I edit the configuration.php file:

public $cache_handler = 'file';

"file" is not an option in the global config dialog, nor the plug-in configuration. And, any operation that writes to the configuration.php file over-writes this back to "xcache" and the problem then reoccurs.

This is damn annoying. There are some threads in the forums about this as well.

Thanks!

It's annoying not to be able to edit posts (too short a time-out)... However, I wanted to say the above problem is probably the result of some misconfig on my part, but it may not be Joomla. I've considered maybe it's some other configuration relating to xcache...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.