Reorder MySQL rows via PHP?

Guest convention

Guest convention
I have a webpage that displays all of the MySQL rows in descending order. Though I don't know if this matters, all rows have a unique id number (auto_increment, primary key). I am wondering, is it possible to reorder any entry in MySQL in PHP (such as a form, GET, or any other method)? For example, move a row from the bottom of the page to, say somewhere in the middle?

I don't really want to do it by using the 'ORDER BY' SQL statement, but rather actually move the rows in the MySQL database.

Thank you for the help. :)

Sorry, but that's just stupid. That's the whole purpose of the ORDER BY statement. If you have data that you want ordered in a specific way that cannot be achieved using ORDER BY then you should add a "sort" column to the data and then ORDER BY that.

And, the only way to reprder the rows would be to create a script that would overwrite all the records in the order you want. Again, bad idea.

perhaps you need to be a bit clearer.  Are you for instance, wanting to have a list of stuff that you want to be able to move up and down the list, such as, on a message board, having say 10 forums, and being able to move a forum up or down the list?

if so, then what you will want to do is create another field in your table called "layout_order" or other some such descriptive thing.  Then you will want to in your query, order by layout_order.  If you want to "bump" the item up a notch, then you would swap numbers with the it and the one above it. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.