MYSQL Join

moondran

Hi Guys

I'm having a little problem with fetching data from 2 or more tables from the same db. I'm using 2 methodes:

$sql_emp = "SELECT a.*, b.points FROM `table_users` AS a, `table_points` AS b WHERE b.user_id=a.id ORDER BY a.surname ";

$sql_emp = "SELECT a.id,a.name,a.surname,b.points FROM a LEFT JOIN b ON b.user_id = a.id ";

Methode 1 is working but my problem is when table b has no entry it's not returning anything. In other words say there is 10 employees stored in table a and only 2 employees have points entries in table b my query only return 2. Is there a way to join tables that I can get all the entries from table a even if there is no entries in table b?

$sql_emp = 'SELECT a.`id`,a.`name`,a.`surname`,b.`points` '.
                    'FROM `table_name` a '.
                    'LEFT JOIN `table_name` b '.
                    'ON a.`id`=b.`id`';

That should work. Honestly you don't have to break it by lines, but I find that this makes it much easier to edit the query, and much easier to read. Just a preference, but looks much cleaner to me. So anyway, you should now be able to use that sql for query and grab the data with thier respective column names.

Is there a way to join tables that I can get all the entries from table a even if there is no entries in table b?

The LEFT JOIN keyword returns all rows from the left table (table_name1), even if there are no matches in the right table (table_name2). ( from w3schools.org). So basically, when left joining, you would have the LEFT table's (in this instance "id") column JOIN with with the right table's column, thus LEFT JOIN :) Well, im just talkin from what it sounds like, and thats always the way i've used it and it works fine so dont see a problem.

Is there a way to join tables that I can get all the entries from table a even if there is no entries in table b?

The LEFT JOIN keyword returns all rows from the left table (table_name1), even if there are no matches in the right table (table_name2). ( from w3schools.org). So basically, when left joining, you would have the LEFT table's (in this instance "id") column JOIN with with the right table's column, thus LEFT JOIN :) Well, im just talkin from what it sounds like, and thats always the way i've used it and it works fine so dont see a problem.

'FROM `table_name` a '.
                    'ON a.`id`=b.`id`';

That should work. Honestly you don't have to break it by lines, but I find that this makes it much easier to edit the query, and much easier to read. Just a preference, but looks much cleaner to me. So anyway, you should now be able to use that sql for query and grab the data with thier respective column names.

I think it might help you to know that you do not need to concatenate pieces of a string together like that just because you want to break the SQL statement up into seperate lines. 

$sql_emp = 'SELECT a.`id`,a.`name`,a.`surname`,b.`points` 
                    FROM `table_name` a 
                    LEFT JOIN `table_name` b 
                    ON a.`id`=b.`id`';

'FROM `table_name` a '.
                    'ON a.`id`=b.`id`';

I think it might help you to know that you do not need to concatenate pieces of a string together like that just because you want to break the SQL statement up into seperate lines. 

$sql_emp = 'SELECT a.`id`,a.`name`,a.`surname`,b.`points` 
                    FROM `table_name` a 
                    LEFT JOIN `table_name` b 
                    ON a.`id`=b.`id`';

However, am i correct in assuming that syntax would work? I didn't test it, just used knowledge of writing SQL.

Yes that looks fine to me.  I personally dislike putting `...` around every name.  That exists to allow you to use mysql keywords as names of tables and columns, but is not necessary 99.9% of the time.  It's more typing, and is harder to read, so I never use it.  Point in fact, for the SELECT list you only need to include the alias if there's a column name conflict between the two tables as well.  let's say that you get name and surname from a "names" table, and the points table would not have those columns, then you can just do :

SELECT a.id, name, surname, points....

With that said, the syntax looks like it would work fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.