Really strange problem with P-2601HN-F1 router

SuperBlue

Sometimes we cant access the HTTP server from its own WAN IP, this goes both when trying to enter the WAN in the browser (should throw a 403), and when trying the hosted domains.

The only way to solve the problem that i know of, is to turn off the router and turn it on again (not the same as a settings reset), this is of cause a smaller inconvenience.

When i try to access one of the hosted websites, or the WAN IP from the server, i simply get a connection time out error, like a firewall has blocked connections from the WAN IP. But there's no software firewall running on the server.

People from the outside can still access the websites, and i can also access the websites if i use a proxy server.

Pinging the WAN ip of the server, from the server also works, so it seems its only related to HTTP access for now.

I made sure that the firewall in the router was disabled, and that DoS prevention was disabled as well.

I was thinking that perhaps the router accidentally blocked the WAN, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The LAN IP of the server is reserved to the MAC address of the server, but i also don't think this can be the problem, since the server still gets connections from the outside. In other words, i don't think its a conflict on the LAN.

Another thing i don't really get, is why the memory usage in the router is at an all-time high, about (95%). We only got a few PCs connected.

Is it only local network clients that are having the problem?  It may be that the router may not be setting up a loopback address.  Lots of these SOHO routers separate logically the external IP and the internal network.  Meaning when a client on the local network requests the DNS or IP of the external address the router just passes the request on without asking itself if the router knows that IP and you get a problematic response.

If that sounds like what's happening, you're going to need to look into documentation if the router supports a loopback address.  I know some Linksys/Cisco and Netgear SOHO products do and some that don't, its kind of hit or miss.

Yes only the LAN clients are effected. I disabled all security in the router for now, until i figure out what is going on.

The router has the ability to run a loopback test, which returns with a success message.

I also updated the firmware, and had to restart the router in that process, so regardless if that solved the problem, the restart it self has solved it temporarily. I'll likely get back if it turns out the update didn't fix it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.