Selecting entries with same value in a field

elmas156

Hello everyone,

I have a database with strings of information that I am trying to create a report about.  My question is pretty simple, but I'm not sure where to find the information that I need.

Basically, am using two DB fields to select the information that I need.  One field is named "entryid" and the other is "stringid."  The "entryid" is always different... basically incrimental (1,2,3,4....), the "stringid" may be the same for several entries.

What I am trying to do is to select the entries that has the same "stringid."  So basically, if I have 5 entries that have "entryid" 5, 14, 25, 29, and 41 (just random numbers I selected), and they all have a "stringid" of 5, and then another 3 entries that have "entryid" 6, 13, and 20, with "stringid" of 6, how would I select the entries that have a "stringid" of 5 or 6 so that my results are 5 and 6?  I know that I will have to use a while loop, but not sure of the sql code.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi

Not quite sure what you mean (you seem to be wanting to find the records with a stringid of 5 or 6 so that you can find their stringid).

I assume you want to know the entry ids for records with a stringid of 5 or 6

SELECT entryid

FROM SomeTable

WHERE stringid IN (5,6)

However I might have misunderstood things.

All the best

Keith

well, kind of, but the problem is I don't know what the stringid is beforehand.  This is going to be run from a cron job.  Here's what I have so far:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT `entryid`,`stringid` FROM allmsgs WHERE reported = 'n' ORDER BY `messid` ASC") or die (mysql_error());

This returns the entryid and stringid  for ALL entries that have not been reported yet (reported = 'n'), which means that I get the following results:

entryid      stringid

5                5

13              5

19              5

23              5

24              5

6                6

14              6

22              6

What I need to do is select all of the entries from each stringid, whith the higest entryid.  So in this example, I would like for my results to return:

entryid = 24, 22 (the most recent entries of "stringid=5" and "stringid=6")

I hope this makes more sense.

I was thinking that I would use something like:

select entryid from `allmsgs` where `entryid`=(select max(`entryid`) from allmsgs);

//maybe put this in a while loop and specify somehow to only select the "max('entryid')" for each "stringid"?

Thoughts?

Hi

Ah, right.

Something like this:-

$result = mysql_query("SELECT stringid,  MAX(entryid) FROM allmsgs WHERE reported = 'n' GROUP BY stringid") or die (mysql_error());

That should bring the latest entry id for each string id.

If you want more details then you can use a subselect of the above joined back against the table.

SELECT entryid, stringid, messid
FROM (SELECT stringid,  MAX(entryid) AS MaxEntryId FROM allmsgs WHERE reported = 'n' GROUP BY stringid) Sub1
INNER JOIN allmsgs
ON Sub1.MaxEntryId = allmsgs.entryid
AND Sub1.stringid = allmsgs.entryid
ORDER BY messid ASC

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.