Is PHP the right choice here ?

spelltox

Hi guys,

I'm developing a website (with little experience) that is providing info to customers, What it should actually do is query some external websites, retrieve some data from them, then display it to the user in nice formatted fashion.

I've done such thing before in non-web programming languages (visual basic, etc), but never in PHP or such.

I've downloaded some PHP framework that is able to parse html pages, but after some time that the script is running it is stopped and says that "script time limit exceeded".

The problem is that i'm not sure if PHP is the right choice for this task.

I'm using standard hosting account and don't want to purchase VPS or Dedicated server for this task.

My questions are : 1. Is this possible ? 2. Which languages\technologies should i use ? 3. Security aspects. 4. Samples / Code snippets / Articles / Anything else that might help.

Thanks, SpellTOx.

Hi,

set_time_limit is not accessible to me because this is not my own server, but a hosting company.

As for the external websites - i'm simply sending request and the parse the returned html.

I wonder if php is the right choice, or maybe some other platform / combination.

Some other problem ... scraping the web pages take quite some time,

so i need a way to run some background script that will do the scrapping and when done it can set some flag in my database.

The question is :

1. how do i run that other script in the background ?

2. how do i let the user know that processing is done and show him the results ?