I can only login as root

attaboy

I'm using Wampserver 2.2 when I click on the link for mySql console it comes up under root.  I created a user but I don't see any way to log in as that user.  I also try using phpmyadmin there I can logout and I'm presented with a login box if I enter the credentials of the new user it just presents the box over again and won't let me back in till I enter root.

mysql> show grants for Jim;

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------+

| Grants for Jim@%

|

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'Jim'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*D84E02E1F52C

3CFB308DB32A53E53DAB7AE48348' WITH GRANT OPTION |

1 row in set (0.01 sec)

mysql>

Are you sure you are logging in as "Jim" and not "jim"? 

You might also have a password issue.  Try resetting it to something simple like this:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'Jim'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'apple';

Then try to login, and if that works, take another pass setting your password back to what you want it to be.  If this is a wamp test/development server, I'm not sure why it would matter much, as having a strong password isn't important when the server can't be accessed by anyone but you.

'Then try to login,' that's a problem when I bring up the MySql console it doesn't ask me for a user name, the user is already root and it just wants my password.  From what I gather there is no login command so is there a ini file I should change?

'Then try to login,' that's a problem when I bring up the MySql console it doesn't ask me for a user name, the user is already root and it just wants my password.  From what I gather there is no login command so is there a ini file I should change?

Right.  Phpmyadmin is just a php script that gives you a web interface to your mysql.  This page talks about the configuration file:  http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Config.  Wampserver is simply a bundle with things configured in advance to make it simple for you.  You'll have to analyze the config.inc.php file to see what they've done. 

Instead of using the wamp console, use the CMD

Start > Run > cmd

then type:

mysql -u Jim -p [databasename (optional)]

The above will connect you to localhost, then prompt you to enter a password, if it is correct you will then be logged into the console. the database (in the brackets is optional, it will default you to a database).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.