Sortable table in PHP using Javascript

fractal5

So I'm trying to use a php form to query results from an sql database and generate a sortable table. For the table sorting I am using a javascript from here:

The problem is that the javascript isn't working on the table generated from the php. But if I copy the output of the php into an html, the javascript sort works perfectly.

This is a basic sample code I made to test the function:

<?php

echo "<html><head><title>new page</title>";
echo '<script src="sortable.js"> </script></head>';

echo '<body>';		

echo "<table border='0' id='table' class='sortable'>";
echo "<thead>"; 
echo "<tr>";
echo "<th>Col1</th>";
echo "<th>Col2</th>";
echo "</tr></thead>";
echo "<tbody>";
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>11</td>";
echo "<td>12</td>";
echo "</tr>";
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>21</td>";
echo "<td>22</td>";
echo "</tr>";
echo "</tbody></table>";

echo "</body></html>";	
?>

So I'm confused as to whether I'm doing something wrong or missing something, or if there's a reason why a javascript function won't work through php.

I hope I have explained it clearly. Any help is appreciated.

Javascript works on HTML. HTML is the output of a PHP script (usually - sometimes the output may be XML, JSON or something else). So the fact that the HTML was generated by a PHP script is irrelevant. Javascript can't tell how it was generated one way or another.

So this says to me that you have some issue somewhere else in your code. Unfortunately, you didn't show us any other code, so I can't really say much more.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.