Starting own web server

scs

For a while I've had my own web site hosted on so many different web hosts. All of them end up costing so much. Well I've been messing around with apache 1 for over a year. I got the hang it. But I was just using localhost as the domain and just doing local testing. I switched to apache 2.2.3. I'm having trouble with it. Just with the localhost part. And it's not loading php, saying that it cant load this one dll file. php4apache2.dll. i've only had this problem apache 2. And I am using php4. I've heard so many problems with php5. plus I kno just about everything in php4. I have a really think book on it too.

Another problem I had is I want to kno what is the best place to get my domain. Cause I've always got my domain with the host package. So my domain was linked to the web space on the host's server. I just want the domain so I can link it to my server at home.

So I need help with the latest apache, and also incorporating it with my domain.
Thanks
Zach

If your looking for simplisity with your domin i would recomend www.telivo.com
There fast and reliable, and once you have regesterd then you can simply alter the DNS settings so they point to your IP address.  Only problem with them is that they dont alow the addition of many A-records if you find your server collection expanding.

What OS are you running Apache on?  Can you explain this localhost thing a little more clearly please? are you trying to get it using your local browser?  If linux is the service running happily and have you cheacked your firewall/forwording rules?

I was talking about when I was testing. I would set the server name on apache to localhost and type http://localhost in the browser to test the server. I kno how to do that, but what about when I have my domain?

Im using WinXP. I have linux, but dont have a comp for it.

I just installed a new firewall. ZoneAlarm, But I already allowed apache as a server on it. So I dont think its my firewall. Maybe apache 2 has different settings that I not aware of.

Well on the php thing. Do u kno about php 4 and the new apache. Cause its not reconzing php. Is there a new dll I need to download?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.