Basic queries before starting up to do freelancing

expertsystems

Hi!
I am a PHP developer from India having experience of 3.5 years in PHP/MySql/Ajax. I am willing to start doing freelancing PHP projects from home.
To get started properly, I am doing some initial preperatory work before I actually start looking for projects.
In the same regards, I have some very basic queries about starting a freelancing business (especially in India). I have asked quite a few queries, but I would be really thankful to you guys if you can provide answers to those. Also, if somebody from India can share his/her experience, it would be really helpful to me.

1>What precautions should I must take before committing to do any
    work?
2>On an average what are the hourly rates for a developer with
  experience of 3.5 years? Though I understand that it can be very
  relative, still what should be the lower limit that I must get? I am
  asking this to prevent myself being undercharged because of lack
  of information.
3>How can I receive payments for my projects in India from abroad?
4>Which is the best strategy to accept payments from clients since
  clients may cheat you and you cannot do anything for it because
  they are abroad. (By strategy I mean for eg. delivering half work
  and expect half payment or delivering full work and then expect
  full payment etc.)
5>With popular payment gateways, such as Paypal etc. on average
    how many days it takes to actually receive the money in your
    bank?
6>Which is the best payment gateway for receiving money in india?
7>If I wish not to use credit card for transactions, is it possible?
8>How much % of money is normally lost in transaction charges
  and currency conversions?
9>If clients delegate the responsibility of hosting the site,
  which is a good web hosting provider?

Thanks!

Well I am not from India but I may still be able to help.

[quote]1>What precautions should I must take before committing to do any work?[/quote]
Well there are several things that you can do.
  A)Make sure that you fully understand the project before you start. You should create a well thought out site plan and make sure that the plan meets your clients needs.
  B)I always require at least 20% down, on projects with a budget of 250 US or more.
  C)Always do the initial work on your server first.

Now as to the price per hour.. You are right in that that is relative to the work required. That to me is the hardest part.
I personally never charge less then $20 /hour. However, I have seen many scripters from India charge as low as $10.

[quote]3>How can I receive payments for my projects in India from abroad? [/quote]
I use paypal alot because almost every client I have had has a Paypal account.

Now the way that I like to setup the project out line is to have a payment schedule as follows
  A)33% down. I then design the site on my server
  B)33% when the client is satisfied with the design and functionality.
  C) The remaining would be do upon successful transfer of the site.

Now I have no idea how long it will take for you to get your money in India. I have a paypal premier Business Account. So I have access to the funds immediately. I also sell website templates, computer systems/hardware and software on ebay.

[quote]7>If I wish not to use credit card for transactions, is it possible?[/quote]

It is possible but I wound not recommend it. You could offer Western Union or bank wire transfers.

[quote]8>How much % of money is normally lost in transaction charges and currency conversions?[/quote]

I now that when paypal converts euro to the us dollar I pay about 5% total in fees.

[quote]9>If clients delegate the responsibility of hosting the site, which is a good web hosting provider?[/quote]

Serverpowered is an excellent host. If you require more from a datacenter you can try ThePlanet or Calpop

Good Luck,
Tom

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.