Post value not evaluating true?

flambo

Hi,

Apologies if this is rather easy but wondered how you would get around the following problem.

I have a post being sent on a checked form that has the name set to a value used in my DB, for example:

<input type="checkbox" name="<?PHP echo $rows ["catID"] ?>">

Where name would equal something like 11. I'm trying to right some code that inserts data from the rows that have been checked, bit like the below:

while($rows = $database->fetch_array($result)){
    $strSQL='INSERT INTO affiliate_join_cat (ajcCatID, ajcAffID) VALUES ('.$rows["catID"].', '.$_POST["affID"].')';
	if ($_POST($rows["catID"])=="on"){
		$database->query($strSQL);

so my post will look something like 11 = on, dependent on the row checked. But there is something wrong with this part of the code:

$_POST($rows["catID"])=="on"

my thoughts are that until catID actually equals 11 this does not evaluate to anything? So have tried using empty and isset to handle it without any success.

Not sure what to do next?

Thanks in advance

AK's code is correct.

You had parens instead of brackets, which would cause PHP to attempt to execute a function named after the $_POST array, but that would throw a fatal error. 

You're going about this wrong btw.  Name all your checkboxes "catID[]".  All of them, named JUST like that.  Each of their VALUES needs to be the actual catID.

Then, in your code, $_POST['catID'] will be an array of all the checked catIDs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.