Update MySQL DB table column with data from another table column

drunkencelt

Hi,

Lost the plot on this one and just not quite sure how I should be approaching this:

What I would like to do is insert data from one table column into another but each row in one must correspond to the row in the other.  I suspect I will need some PHP to do it but being a novice with direct database manipulation (although experiesed with Drupal configuration) I'm not sure how to do it.  I know a little PHP and a little SQL and can usually work out what code does but starting from scratch is a bit above me although I am slowly learning.  Would appreciate any help.

Specifically:  I have a table 'content_type-respondent-profile' with columns 'nid' and 'field_user_email_value'.  I also have a table 'content_field_email' with columns 'nid' and 'field_email_email'.  Data is currently held in the latter table that I wish to insert into the former BUT the columns 'nid' must match each other.

Is this simple to do?  I would really appreciate some suggestions how to approach this or some sample code.  Or directing to where there might be some goot resources that will help me figure.

Many thanks.

Hey,

if Im correct you only have to do is one query that collects your current data in an array and let a FOR loop insert it into another table.

$dbResult = $database->exec("SELECT * FROM urtable")->fetchAll();

for($i = 0; $i < count($dbResult); $i++)
{
   $database->exec("INSERT INTO othertable SET nid = ". $dbResult[$i]['nid'] .", field_email_email = '". $dbResult[$i]['field_user_email_value'] ."'");
}

That is only an example with a custom DB.class . But it may help you.

Hi S3cr3t,

Thanks for your help.  I forgot to mention the second table was not empty so before the field data was copied it needed to check the value of another field matched with a second field from the first table.  Your reply put me on the right track though and with a bit of SQL/PHP revision I was able to come up with the following which does the job nicely for me.

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)or die(mysql_error()))
  {
  $query = "UPDATE content_type_respondent_profile 
  SET field_user_email_value = '".$row['field_email_email']."' WHERE nid = '".$row['nid']."'";

mysql_query($query, $dbc)or die(mysql_error());

}

Thanks for your help.

Great forum.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.