Problems with a news feed

light87

Hello:

I'm having problems with a newsfeed.  More specifically, it is a "Test Drive" exercise for the book "Head First Php and MySQL" by Beighly and Morrison on page 675.  The website that I use does not try to sell anything and is only used as a test site.  There are 6 files associated with this exercise.  The SQL file is:

CREATE TABLE `aliens_abduction` (

`abduction_id` INT AUTO_INCREMENT,

`first_name` VARCHAR(30),

`last_name` VARCHAR(30),

`when_it_happened` DATE,

`how_long` VARCHAR(30),

`how_many` VARCHAR(30),

`alien_description` VARCHAR(100),

`what_they_did` VARCHAR(100),

`fang_spotted` VARCHAR(10),

`other` VARCHAR(100),

`email` VARCHAR(50),

PRIMARY KEY (`abduction_id`)

);

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (1, 'Alf', 'Nader', '2000-07-12', 'one week', 'at least 12', 'It was a big non-recyclable shiny disc full of what appeared to be mutated labor union officials.', 'Swooped down from the sky and snatched me up with no warning.', 'no', 'That\'s it.', 'ralph@nader.com');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (2, 'Don', 'Quayle', '1991-09-14', '37 seconds', 'dunno', 'They looked like donkeys made out of metal with some kind of jet packs attached to them.', 'I was sitting there eating a baked potatoe when "Zwoosh!", this beam of light took me away.', 'yes', 'I really do love potatos.', 'dq@iwasvicepresident.com');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (3, 'Rick', 'Nixon', '1969-01-21', 'nearly 4 years', 'just one', 'They were pasty and pandering, and not very forgiving.', 'Impeached me, of course, then they probed me.', 'no', 'I\'m lonely.', 'rnixon@not');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (4, 'Belita', 'Chevy', '2008-06-21', 'almost a week', '27', 'Clumsy little buggers, had no rhythm.', 'Tried to get me to play bad music.', 'no', 'Looking forward to playing some Guitar Wars now that I\'m back.', 'belitac@rockin.net');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (5, 'Sally', 'Jones', '2008-05-11', '1 day', 'four', 'green with six tentacles', 'We just talked and played with a dog', 'yes', 'I may have seen your dog. Contact me.', 'sally@gregs-list.net');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (6, 'Meinhold', 'Ressner', '2008-08-10', '3 hours', 'couldn\'t tell', 'They were in a ship the size of a full moon.', 'Carried me to the top of a mountain and dropped me off.', 'no', 'Just want to thank those fellas for helping me out.', 'meinhold@icanclimbit.com');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (7, 'Mickey', 'Mikens', '2008-07-11', '45 minutes', 'hundreds', 'Huge heads, skinny arms and legs', 'Read my mind,', 'yes', 'I\'m thinking about designing a helmet to thwart future abductions.', 'mickey@stopreadingmymind.net');

INSERT INTO `aliens_abduction` VALUES (8, 'Shill', 'Watner', '2008-07-05', '2 hours', 'don\'t know', 'There was a bright light in the sky, followed by a bark or two.', 'They beamed me toward a gas station in the desert.', 'yes', 'I was out of gas, so it was a pretty good abduction.', 'shillwatner@imightbecaptkirk.com');

The  X_Database_Chapter12_Page675_connectvars_final.php file is:

<?php

//3,08,12

//Filename:C:,HeadFirst_PHP_MYSQL,Chapter12,

//X_Database_Chapter12_Page675_connectvars_final.php

// Define database connection constants

define('DB_HOST', 'KEPTPRIVATE');

define('DB_USER', 'KEPTPRIVATE');

define('DB_PASSWORD', 'KEPTPRIVATE');

define('DB_NAME', 'KEPTPRIVATE');

?>

The css file is:

/* Filename:C:,HeadFirst_PHP_MYSQL,Chapter12, X_Database_Chapter12_Page675_style_final.css */

.error {

font-weight:bold;

color:#FF0000;

}

table {

border:1px solid #DDDDDD;

border-collapse:collapse;

}

tr.heading {

font-size:large;

color:#006600;

}

td {

border:1px solid #DDDDDD;

}

form label {

display:inline-block;

width:225px;

}

a {

text-decoration:none;

}

a:link {

color:#006600;

}

a:hover {

background-color:#EEEEEE;

}

a:visited {

color:#002200;

}

a:active {

color:#009900;

}

17763_.php

17764_.php

17765_.php

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.