Connecting to remote mysql database from dreamweaver

mglover88

Hi,

I'm creating a website for myself that involves a blog so I created a pretty simple CMS area that connects to a mysql database to retrieve blog posts and enables me to add, update, delete as and when. I've tested this using the testing server and everything is working absolutely spot on. However, when trying to establish a connection to my remote database server (hosted by ipage) in Dreamweaver it returns an error that says:

MySQL Error#:2002 No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I have been led to understand this means iPage do not allow their customers to connect remotely to databases. However, I just wanted to know if there is anyway round this problem that does not involve me moving to another web host and paying more money. For example, being able to use a separate database server to connect to via Dreamweaver while still hosting the website on iPage.

Thanks in advance.

There are very few hosts which allow remote connections to their MySQL databases for security reasons so the likely hood of someone allowing you to do this is very small, not impossible though. Out of interest, what's the purpose for connecting dream weaver to the MySQL host?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't really understand too much about php and mysql databases. I'm kind of learning as I go in order to build my own website and could possibly be doing something wrong if it's not very common that people need to connect to the mysql databases through their host.

Basically, I have a blog area to my site which I have developed a CMS area for so I can easily update/delete/manage posts and display and archive and recent post list in the sidebar. I have done this using my wamp testing server and used the mysql database link included in that to build a database for storing posts to my blog. This all works fine locally and I can login to the CMS and add/delete/manage posts as needed.

Now, to be able to make this work live on the web I was under the impression that I would have to do exactly what I have done locally but use the mysql database provided as part of my ipage account instead of the wamp one. But I feel like what I'm trying to do is quite basic and if not many people need to connect remotely then I should probably be doing it another way.

Done it. Must have spent way too long trying to fix the problem without a break. Didn't need to connect remotely . Just had to export sql files from local database, import them to remote database and update the 'connections' file manually. Amazing how much clearer you think after a break. Thanks for your reply though.

• 11 months later...

I came across this as I had the same error message in Dreamweaver. I just wanted to say I'm trying to do the same thing. I would like to be able to link to my domain db from DW without having to export/import from my local phpmyadmin. Like you, I'm too newb to figure out if it is possible but you would think it would be.

I'll keep doing it the way you did for now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.