Simple mySQL query with confusing error

rinkhals

Hey guys,

I realise that the problem is probably absolutely blatant but I just can't, for the life of me, see it.

Here is the error: "Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in [file] on line 168"

Here is the line of PHP its pointing to

[code]
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
[/code]

and here is the line with the actual query in it.

[code]
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `topics` ORDER BY `timestamp` WHERE `id` = '$cid' DESC LIMIT $from, $to");
[/code]

If anyone could even just point me in the direction of knowing where my error is, it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Rinkhals

When debugging it's usually easier to find query errors when using the following format.

[code]
$query = 'query here';
$result = mysql_query($query) or die('query: '.$query."<br />\n".mysql_error());
[/code]

When there are errors with the query the output will show both the query after all variables have been expanded and the error returned by MYSQL.

I do notice the following error with the query.

[quote author=rinkhals link=topic=113696.msg462249#msg462249 date=1162534684]
[code]
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `topics` ORDER BY `timestamp` WHERE `id` = '$cid' DESC LIMIT $from, $to");
[/code]
[/quote]

The query should have the WHERE clause before the ORDER BY.

[code]
SELECT * FROM `topics` WHERE `id` = '$cid' ORDER BY `timestamp` DESC LIMIT $from, $to
[/code]

Using the format shown earlier to make the query you'll be able to post any other errors that may exist.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.