Test Server -- need proof

TOA

So the system admin at my company, for some reason, has our test server setup with a version of php that is several behind that of our live server. To me, this doesn't make sense. Everytime we write something and push it live, we have to figure out why it's not working and what's different. The way I see it, it's a waste of time, introduces holes in the live site because we have to work directly inside it (sometimes temporarily turning on errors, a major no-no in my mind), and creates an unstable environment since we're always tweaking something in there which could cause a user to experience unwanted behavior.

I've tried numerous times to get him to upgrade the test server, and have even gone to our supervisor several times with my complaint. So what I need is to get proof that this is not the optimum method. Or maybe he knows something I don't and just doesn't feel the need to share. Is this common practice?

FYI, the test server runs 5.1.6 and the live server runs 5.3.2.

Any thoughts/stats?

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.