Robots.txt order

themistral

Hi guys,

I am evaluating a site currently and the Robots.txt file has the following code:

User-agent: Googlebot
Allow: /

User-agent: Slurp
Crawl-delay: 120

User-agent: Msnbot

User-agent: ia_archiver

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

I use a tool to check various things and it flagged up that robots was disallowing bots.

I would like to check if the order makes any difference - does that final command override the bot-specific rules?

Thanks  :D

Yes, it goes in order.  You have to first disallow everything and then allow the exceptions.

Also dunno if you know or not but the crawlers don't have to obey the rules of robots.txt.  Most major crawlers respect the rules but they don't *have* to and you shouldn't rely on robots.txt for other random bots/crawlers out there.  Hell I personally don't really rely on it even for the major crawlers.  Who knows when their policy might change.  Better to look at the headers server-side and do something there.  But even then that doesn't stop someone from faking headers.  Anyways...

Cheers .josh

That's great to know as it explains a few things!

They implemented this as they were getting hammered by bots - it's an ecom site so I would guess a shopping bot was the problem.

Yep I know bad bots will ignore robots.txt, and some pages of the site are included in Google's index, so I would guess that at best, the robots.txt file is confusing bots at the moment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.