Update mysql not workking

anne3marie

I am very new to php. I am using the code below to process a html form to update customers preference called item1. I want to update only the loggin in customer which  is where my problem is. If i write "WHERE userid=4" or no where statement at all it updates correctly. When I include the where statement, it echos "updated" but the database doesn't change. I cannot figure out the correct where statement! Please Help!

<?php

include 'db.php';

$item_1 = $_POST['item1'];

$query = "UPDATE users SET item_1 = '$item_1' WHERE userid='$userid'";

if(mysql_query($query)){

echo "updated";}

else{

echo "fail";}

?>

If that's your entire script, you don't set $userid anywhere. That's probably why.

Hard coding 4 in would work since it is a legit value. If you pay close attention, if you use no where clause it will update your entire database, be careful.

I thought I tried that but it seems adding session_start() did the trick. Thanks for helping me. I knew it was a simple fix! Now do you know how I would add a conditional statement that leaves the database entry alone? I don't know what goes at the end of this statement or if it is possible. something like If '$item1'== 'do not update' {} not sure

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.