Graph Objects

hackalive

Likely a combination of database (e.g. MySQL), cache (e.g. Couchbase), and search server (e.g. Sphinx)

Im trying to figure out how I can achieve this myself in MySQL/PHP, so if you can offer any more advice on maybe how I can construct it.

Cheers

Oh no I can build the API - Im just curious how you guys might suggest I do the "global unique ID" like they have.

I was thinking like a master and central object table that then through PHP would reference to a page, event, photo, etc table. Was hoping you guys might have some better ways of doing it.

:)

I already did, in your other thread on the topic. 

To reiterate: use a RESTful API architecture, where the URI identifies the resource:

www.domain.com/user/1 = User #1

www.domain.com/image/1 = Image #1

There's no ambiguity in that.  URIs were designed to represent resources, why reinvent the wheel when the current solution is so simple?

It sucks because:

1. It adds unnecessary overhead both on INSERT and on SELECT,

2. It circumvents a useful, elegant, meaningful HTTP architecture to unnecessarily abstract "objects".

3. It introduces API interface ambiguity,

4. It requires use of a BIGINT unique id for all "objects", and

5. It adds a lot of work to developing your API

All the above, and doesn't offer a single quantifiable advantage.

Just cause FB does it doesn't mean it's right.  They're trying to design an API that idiots can use... not exactly the best premise for good design.

That's my point in interface ambiguity. 

Not knowing what you're asking for is a BAD thing in application development.

Let's say I ask for all photos for facebook.com/12345 - great... that may work for all their "objects". 

But what happens when I ask for "first_name" and 12345 turns out to be an event?  Events don't HAVE a first_name

Point is, if you use an explicit HTTP interface, the uri defines what TYPE of object you're asking for AS WELL AS its identity.

So I can say www.yourdomain.com/user/12345 and KNOW what I can do with that resource.

I have nothing else to add to this discussion.  If I haven't convinced you yet, I wish you the best of luck in your career.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.