PHP Forum Code

grimpirate

This is some code I wrote up for a simple forum.

Abilities:
Login
Logout
Registration
Uses file read and write operations rather than database support
Automatic locking of topics based on a time limit
Automatic removal of usernames based on a time limit
Simple style sheets

Limitations:
Cannot yet post replies
Administrative functions not yet supported
Style sheets need work
Better code documentation

I made it very simple on purpose as I wanted the forum to be purely text, and to not contain any superfluous information.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[quote author=grimpirate link=topic=114061.msg463892#msg463892 date=1162846933]
This is some code I wrote up for a simple forum.

Abilities:
Login
Logout
Registration
Uses file read and write operations rather than database support
Automatic locking of topics based on a time limit
Automatic removal of usernames based on a time limit
Simple style sheets

Limitations:
Cannot yet post replies
Administrative functions not yet supported
Style sheets need work
Better code documentation

I made it very simple on purpose as I wanted the forum to be purely text, and to not contain any superfluous information.
[/quote]
Ok , can you  upload it so we can see how it looks like??

Update:
It's all functional now I'll shortly upload a link to where you can test it out on the web, but in the meantime if people would download and test/debug it, I would appreciate the help. So please make it malfunction lol.

To do:
Comment code properly and correct style sheets.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well you can see the forum in action at [URL=http://grimpirate.4mak.net/portal.php]http://grimpirate.4mak.net/portal.php[/URL]. The source code for it isn't the same because I had to change the [I]hash()[/I] and [I]scandir()[/I] functions since they only function in PHP5. I had to implement [I]crc32()[/I], [I]md5()[/I], [I]opendir()[/I], [I]readdir()[/I], and [I]closedir()[/I]. Curiously the [I]crc32($somestring)[/I] function does not produce the same result as [I]hash('crc32', $somestring)[/I]. In order to post in the forum it's necessary to register. Basically, that just means make up a username and password. The forum doesn't accept any personal information.

The passwords were recently hacked on GrimBB. This helped expose a flaw in using md5 as the encoding scheme and the way the forum was storing the passwords. As a solution I changed the board_users.inc file to board_users.php that way its content is not viewable. Futhermore, I created a custom hashing function to encode the passwords to prevent library attacks.

• 1 month later...
I know I'm reviving a semi-old thread here, but there have been a lot of updates to GrimBB and I know there were some curious to see an online demonstration. Well the final home of GrimBB lies at http://grimbb.awardspace.com/, which will track its changes and versions and the like.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.