block out certain words from search

iscnetwork

Hello to all and thanks in advance for your assistance.  I am never going to be a good programmer.  Butch

I have 2 sets of code that I cannot put together and make work.  I am trying to have a search of a concordance. But I want to keep out stupid words like they, them, etc. that just take up horsepower.  I included a 'space' figuring that would take out multiple word searches.  I need one other thing which I had no clue about; stop all searches for words under 3 characters long or contain numbers.

<?php

$forbiden_word=" "||"them"||"they";

# if $forbiden_word matches the submited word

if($_POST['keysearch']==$forbiden_word)

{

$message='The word: '.$forbiden_word.' is not allowed.';

}

else

?>

<?php echo $message; ?>

<form method="post" action="result.php" name="keysearch" onSubmit="<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; ?>" />

<h3>Enter single word at least 3 characters long.</h3>

<input type="text" name="search" value="" size="40"  /><br />

<input type="submit" value="Display Results" />

</form>

If you're using MySQL's MATCH...AGAINST syntax (which was designed exactly for this kind of search) you can put words into MySQL's stopword list and have the database exclude them automatically.

Barand and I are suggesting the same thing.  MATCH...AGAINST is applied against columns with a FULLTEXT index.  Google for either.

You just describe items way above my PHP levels. Also the rest of the program is very tight so I don't know how half of it works.  The receivers are even less knowledgeable than myself.  If this helps here is what I am trying to tune...

http://www.christianlibrary.org/bibles/bs/advancedsearch.php

I have found people putting in 'a' just for the stupidity of it.

thanks,

butch

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.