PHP Installation problems

I am attempting to install php 5.1.6 on a SuSE 9 (want to say 9.3) system with apache 2.0.49.  The original apache installation apparently came with php 4.3.4 embedded in it; even after compile/make install and a server restart, the system told me that it was still running 4.3.4.  An aquaintance recommended I remove the 4.3.4 installation; I did so, but now the system is apparently broken.  The phpinfo command says I'm running the correct version, 5.1.6, but I have trouble with all other pages.  Following the <?php tag, any 'echo' command works correctly, and prints its output to the webpage.  As far as I can tell, with the exception of phpinfo() itself, and that I've only tested in a page consisting of precisely the code <?php phpinfo() ?>, no command other than the echo statement works.  The results of any page which has a non-echo as its first command is a blank page, with no source code available when that gets checked.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I should start looking for an answer to this problem, I would be grateful.
Thank you for your consideration,
-EnderX

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.