Math help

Kelset

Ok I have an array that I page through, I pass the current page throug the URL.

What I am having trouble with is finding what the last page would be. First I count the number of items in the array, I then
divied that by 10 (number of items showing per page) and round it. This method does not seem to be working, any ideas?

cheers!
Stephen

Remember that 10 items is still only 1 page.. subtract 1 from the number of items, and then your formula will work (or it may be off by 1, depending on if your pages start at page 1 or page 0).

This ought to work:

[code]$n = count($array) - 1;
$last_page = round($n / 10) + 1;[/code]

There's also some tutorials on pagination on this website somewhere..

rounding the value may not work. Suppose there are 23 items in the array, then [i][b]round(23/10)[/b][/i] becomes [b]2[/b] and you add [b]1[/b] to this and get the number of pages i.e. [b]3[/b]. btherl's solution could give erronious result for a few values for e.g. if the No. of items is 29, then it will give 4 pages instead of 3. Here is the correct code that should work:

[code]$n = count($array);
$last_page = intval($n / 10) + 1;[/code]

[quote]
rounding the value may not work. Suppose there are 23 items in the array, then round(23/10) becomes 2 and you add 1 to this and get the number of pages i.e. 3. btherl's solution could give erronious result for a few values for e.g. if the No. of items is 29, then it will give 4 pages instead of 3. Here is the correct code that should work:

[code]
$n = count($array);
$last_page = intval($n / 10) + 1;
[/code]
[/quote]

intval(...) internally calls round(...), so essentially its almost the same thing as above...

Putting the logic into a function can save repetition, (see below)

You'll want to know the [b]minimum[/b] number of pages required, therefore;
You need to round [b]up[/b] to the nearest whole number. For example if you have [b]23[/b] results, at [b]10[/b] results per page, and you use round, you going to [b]get (23/10) = round(2.3) = 2.0[/b]  that means 2 pages, but what about the [b]3[/b] more results ? Well your going to cut them off :)

And my v. simple function,

[code]function CalculateNumberOfPages($iTotalItems, $iItemsPerPage)
{
return celi($iTotalItems / $iItemsPerPage);
}

$last_page = CalculateNumberOfPages(count($array), 10);[/code]

Note: celi rounds up, so if the number is [color=blue](float)[/color] [b]2.3[/b], it becomes [color=blue](int)[/color] [b]3[/b].

Hth :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.