SUM of values stored in a function?

lukep11a

Hi, I am currently working on making my website more efficient and just trying to get some advice on the best way to do something.

It's a fantasy football website. The tables I have are teams, fixtures, results and teamselections. I used to have a formula in excel to calculate the points after each team had played. Then I would import into the results table in its own column - points.

I have since thought that it would be better to let php calculate the points scored for each game. So I have created a function that will succesfully do that. Great.

So the next part would be to calculate each users total points, i.e the total sum of all the teams points that they have selected. Before when I had a dedicated points column in the results table I would simply SELECT SUM(points). But now I don't have a points column and instead have a function so am not sure how to do this or if I should go back to the way I used to do it.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very much appreciated.

teams

team_id

team_name

fixtures

fixture_id

home_team_id

away_team_id

date

results

fixture_id

home_team_goals

away_team_goals

team_selections

user_team_id

team_id

These are my 4 main tables. I can calculate how many points each teams get based on the number of goals they score and how many goals there opponent scored. I created this to calculate the points for the home team and away team.

$ht_league_dif = $ht_league_id - $at_league_id;
	if ($ht_league_dif <= 0) {
	$ht_league_dif = 0; }

$at_league_dif = $at_league_id - $ht_league_id;
	if ($at_league_dif <= 0) {
	$at_league_dif = 0; }

if ($ht_goals > $at_goals) {
	$ht_result_points = 30;
	$at_result_points = 0; }
	elseif ($ht_goals == $at_goals) {
	$ht_result_points = 10;
	$at_result_points = 10; }
	elseif ($ht_goals < $at_goals) {
	$ht_result_points = 0;
	$at_result_points = 30; }

$ht_goals_points = $ht_goals * 5;
	$at_goals_points = $at_goals * 5;

if ($ht_goals == 0) {
	$at_cs_points = 5; }

if ($at_goals == 0) {
	$ht_cs_points = 5; }

$ht_points = ((1 + $ht_league_dif) * ($ht_goals_points + $ht_result_points + $ht_cs_points));
	$at_points = ((1 + $at_league_dif) * ($at_goals_points + $at_result_points + $at_cs_points)); 

So that works fine to calculate the points scored for one game at a time. I just need to be able to calculate the total points for each team and then the total points for each user based on which teams they have selected.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.