PHP / MySQL for Recursive Calendar Appointments

kool_samule

Hi Chaps,

Apologies if this topic should be in MySQL...I wasn't sure.

I'm trying to create a MS Outlook-style Appointment application with Recurrence for a PHP calendar.

I've got all the same options that Outlook gives, e.g.:

Daily - every DAY, or every WEEKDAY

Weekly every X WEEK(S) on X DAYS

Monthly - on DAY of every X month or Nth DAY of every X MONTH(s)

Yearly - recur every X YEAR(S) on DAY of MONTH or Nth DAY of every X MONTH(s)

My question is what is the best way to store the recursive appointment information in MySQL Database (Columns, etc), so I can then use a PHP algorithm to calculate whether an appointment is within a calendar view, or if reminders need to be sent.

Any advice will be a great help.

Are you having a start/end date for this recursion? I'd have 3 extra columns.

recursion_start (datetime) - this would store the first occurrence of the recurring event. this should be used to calculate what time/day of month/day of week/etc the future events will take place.

recursion_end (datetime) - possibly optional, if optional, then you'll have to keep this in mind when querying for a given period... WHERE recursion_end IS NULL OR recursion_end >= $calendar_starting_date

recursion_type (varchar) - this would hold information about how you want the recursion to be performed. You have to write a function that parses this information, and decides which dates to create this event on.

You'll have to calculate recursive events separately form single events, but overall it should be pretty simple to implement

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.