Cron job

freeloader

Hi guys,

I have a linux installation (mandrake 8) using LAMP running a little home server. I created a second user account for telnet / SSH access besides the root. I logged into the server from myo other pc using Putty. Edited the crontab using crontab -e. Checked uo with crontab -l and it was installed. The file I ran the conjob for was crontest.php.

Content crontest.php:
[code]
<?php

writefile("logs/ITWORKS.txt","TEST");

function writefile($file,$text) {
$Handle = fopen($file, 'a');
$Data = "$text\n";
fwrite($Handle, $Data);
fclose($Handle);
}

?>
[/code]

This is what I got as return result in my mailbox:

[code]
Warning: fopen(logs/ITWORKS.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /opt/lampp/htdocs/crontest.php on line 7

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /opt/lampp/htdocs/crontest.php on line 9

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /opt/lampp/htdocs/crontest.php on line 10 
[/code]

I checked and the chmod preferences for /logs are at 777.

Can anybody help me figure out what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

[quote author=freeloader link=topic=114595.msg466300#msg466300 date=1163208866]
I'll try that out, but the file works when I load it just in my browser... Only when using cron it gives error.
[/quote]

That's probably because relative to the URL of your current page, the file location is fine.  But I'm not sure what folder a cron job would run from--PROBABLY the root of your area (not the web root).

BTW when I said "full path" earlier, I didn't mean a full URL (http://www.mydomain/logs/ITWORKS.txt).  I meant a full server path (/home/username/public_html/logs/ITWORKDS.txt--this example is JUST an example.  What you need to put will depend on your specific server configuration).

Good luck!

Still doesn't work when using full path. Is that really the only thing that could've went wrong.

Maybe I should use full path on the HD like e:\linux\opt\ .. ?

This is what crontest.php looks like now:

[code]
<?php

writefile("/opt/lampp/htdocs/logs/ITWORKS.txt","TEST");

function writefile($file,$text) {
$Handle = fopen($file, 'a');
$Data = "$text\n";
fwrite($Handle, $Data);
fclose($Handle);
}

?>
[/code]

That's the only thing that I see.

Try putting the putting the following in a file by itself and load it in your browser.

[code]
<?php

phpinfo();

?>
[/code]

Look for a line that says [b]DOCUMENT_ROOT[/b].  Now does it say [b]/opt/lampp/htdocs/[/b]?  If yes, then that fixes THAT part and there must be some other problem too.

The only other possiblity that [b]I[/b] can see is that maybe the file doesn't exist (remember *nix filesystem is case sensitive--ITWORKS.txt isn't the same as itworks.txt.  Or there is a problem with your permission settings.

Try this above the call to your function:

if(file_exist("/opt/lampp/htdocs/logs/") && is_dir("/opt/lampp/htdocs/logs/")){
  dir("/opt/lampp/htdocs/logs/")
}else{
  echo "Folder missing";
  dir("/opt/lampp/htdocs/")
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.