Installation Script Is Still Running Code I Deleted. How?

goshinki

Hey everyone and thanks for your time.

The short version:

I've been trying to install a php autoresponder and I keep getting stuck on an error. It's not the error itself that is the problem anymore, but the fact that I modified the code to fix it and it seems to be ignoring my modifications. I replaced every instance of the offending syntax in all files but the error is still somehow referencing the string that I got rid of though it no longer exists.

Please note that while the specific syntax in the error relates to MySQL, I'm not posting about the error so much as why the changes to my code are not taking effect, which is why I chose to post in this section of the forum.

The long version:

As I run the installer, I get the following error:

OOps there was some error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 13
CREATE TABLE ema_broadcast_message( id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, campid int(11) NOT NULL default '0', receipentname text, subject varchar(255) default NULL, body text, attachement varchar(255) default NULL, messagedate datetime default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', msg_formate varchar(100) default NULL, status int(1) default NULL, PRIMARY KEY (id), FULLTEXT KEY body (body) ) TYPE=MyISAM

After some research, it appears that the autoresponder I'm installing is not up-to-date with the latest MySQL version on hostgator, and that the 'TYPE=MyISAM' syntax has been replaced with 'ENGINE=MyISAM'. So I went ahead and searched every file in the root directory and sub directories for 'TYPE=MyISAM' and replaced it with 'ENGINE=MyISAM', which were two files.

I expected this to fix the problem, but the exact same error continues, referencing the string 'TYPE=MyISAM" even though it no longer appears in the code. What's peculiar is that the line its referencing is commented out in an xml file and therefore shouldn't even be readable, as shown below.

<table name='auto_campaign' alias='CAMPAIGN_TABLE'>

<!-- Primary key -->
<column type='int' PrimaryKey='true'>
id
</column>

<!-- -->
<column type='varchar(255)'>campname</column>
<column type='datetime'>startdate</column>
</table>
<!--
CREATE TABLE auto_settings (
 id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
 campid int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
 fromname varchar(255) default NULL,
 fromurl varchar(100) default NULL,
 redirecttourl varchar(255) default NULL,
 setunsubscribelink varchar(10) default NULL,
 reporttoadmin varchar(10) default NULL,
 PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) ENGINE=MyISAM;
-->

<table name='auto_settings' alias='CAMPAIGN_TABLE'>

<!-- Primary key -->
<column type='int' PrimaryKey='true'>
id
</column>
<column type='int'>campid</column>
<column type='varchar(255)'>fromname</column>
<column type='varchar(100)'>fromurl</column>
<column type='varchar(255)'>redirecttourl</column>
<column type='varchar(10)'>setunsubscribelink</column>
<column type='varchar(10)'>reporttoadmin</column>
</table>

The 'TYPE=MyISAM' syntax also appeared a number of times in a php file which I also replaced (I'll leave that code out for brevity unless someone requests to see it). Many other files contain large, encrypted blocks of data and I'm wondering if these are the source of the offending syntax because it can't be read by human eyes.

I am certain all files have write permissions that need them and that the database information is correct when configuring. I deleted all files on the server, the database, cleaned my browser cache and started fresh before modifying and uploading the code.

How is the error able to persist if the code no longer exists?

I would set php's error_reporting to E_ALL and display_errors to ON so that you can see the file name/line number for the query statement(s) that are failing.

Edit: ^^^ depending on how they are handling the error and producing the 'OOps' error messages.

Edited by PFMaBiSmAd

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.