Unlinking File Problem

flapjacksmike

I am using WAMP to run PHP code and MYSQL database

So, I am working on a project that involves setting up a user with a profile picture. I was able to add a profile picture easily, but then as I realized I should implement a way to delete the old profile picture BEFORE changing to a new uploaded image by the user otherwise my directory will fill up with old pictures which is not what I want for a future application online with limited storage.

Anyways, before I post my code, I must state that all of the folders involved have read and write permissions (no .htaccess involved).

Here is the (delete_old_prof_img) function code :

function delete_old_prof_img($user_id)
{
 $old_path = mysql_query("SELECT `prof_img` FROM `users` WHERE `user_id` = " . (int)$user_id); // Find the old profile image
 if($old_path == "") // If it has nothing in the profile iamge column just return true
 {
	 return true;
 }
 else if(unlink($old_path) == true && $old_path !== "") // If it is succesfully removed and the old path doesn't equal an empty string
 {
	 mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `prof_img` = '' WHERE `old_prof_img` = '" . $old_path . "'"); // Reset the profile image column
	 return true;
 }
 else // If image couldn't be removed just return false
 {
	 return false;
 }
}

When I tried copying the $old_path into the mysql database into a column it returns "Resource id#14."

The weirdest thing that I noticed was that the unlink function works fine if I put in the relative location such as

unlink('images/profile/myimg.jpg')

. Although, when I run the "delete_old_prof_img" function, the image in my directory is not removed, and it returns false.

The database has the correct relative link to the location of the file in the 'prof_img'.

Here is the page code it is used in. Please notice this is an nested conditional within others dealing with the html form.

$allowed = array('jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', 'png'); // Allowed extensions to be uploaded
$file_name = $_FILES['prof_img']['name']; // File name of the image uploaded
$file_extn = strtolower(end(explode('.', $file_name))); // File extension of the image uploaded
$file_temp = $_FILES['prof_img']['tmp_name']; // The temporary file name

if (in_array($file_extn, $allowed) === true) // If the file uploaded is in the list of those allowed to be uploaded, continue.
 {
		 if(delete_old_prof_img($session_user_id) == true) // If the old image is deleted, continue.
		 {
			 change_prof_img($session_user_id, $file_temp, $file_extn); // Change the profile image to the newly uploaded one.
			 header('Location: settings.php?upload_success'); // Return to a success page.
			 exit(); // Exit
		 }
		 else if(delete_old_prof_img($session_user_id) == false) // If the old image cannot be deleted, continue.
		 {
			   header('Location: settings.php?upload_failure'); // Return to a failure page.
			   exit(); // Exit
		 }
	    else // First time uploading
		 {																					
			   change_prof_img($session_user_id, $file_temp, $file_extn); // Change profile image
			   header('Location: settings.php?upload_success'); // Return to success page.
			   exit(); // Exit
		 }
 }
 else
 {
	 $errors[] = 'Incorrect file type. Allowed: ' . implode(', ', $allowed); // Put errors in the error array if not allowed file types, to be returned later.
 }

I have turned on error reporting, but nothing has come up. Any redesign is appreciated, if this can be more simplified. Thank you for your time.

Edited by flapjacksmike

Here is change_prof_img:

function change_prof_img($user_id, $file_temp, $file_extn)
{
 $file_path = 'images/profile/' . substr(md5(time()),0,10) . '.' . $file_extn; // Assigning the file path for the newly uploaded image
 move_uploaded_file($file_temp, $file_path); // Move the temporary file of the uploaded file to the new file path
 mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `prof_img` = '" . $file_path . "' WHERE `user_id` = " . (int)$user_id); // Put this new file path into the 'prof_img' column.
}

Edited by flapjacksmike

Never mind. I had figured it out, when I checked errors my $session_user_id was an undefined variable so I had to declare it at the top of the page as a global variable, and changed delete_old_prof_img as follows:

$old_path = mysql_query("SELECT `prof_img` FROM `users` WHERE `user_id` = " . (int)$user_id);
$old_path = (mysql_num_rows($old_path)==0) ? false : mysql_result($old_path,0);
if($old_path !== false)
{
unlink($old_path);
return true;
}
else
{
return false;
}

Then it appears to have worked, I will run some further testing, and the previous image is now being deleted from the directory. Thank you for your help.

Edited by flapjacksmike

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.