Form Validation

gaszer

I apologize - I'm totally lost with what is probably the simplest of answers... not being a coder, my head is hurting after many hours.

All I have to do is validate a string passed from a one text field input form with an exact match.

I have a validation in the process script if there is nothing entered (I think):

<?php

// Receiving variables

@$promocode = addslashes($_POST['promocode']);

// Validation

if (strlen($promocode) == 0 )

{

die("<p align='center'><font face='Arial' size='3' color='#FF0000'>Please enter a valid Promo Code</font></p>");

}

echo("<h3>Thank you! Your promotional code has been accepted.</h3> <a href=https://www.someplace.com>Click here to complete your offer</a>");

?>

I would just like to validate an exact string and have it return the echo message.

Thanks for your patience. Think I need another beer...

...feeling lost. As I showed in the code snippet in my first post - all that is doing is checking whether anything was entered in the text input area.

I need it to check whether say #BT123 was entered. If not, they are returned to the form. If it is, they move on.

If your promotional code must be one from an exact list, you would store that list in a database and check if the entered value was in the database. If your promotional code must only match a specific format, you would test in your php code for that format. Since you haven't stated exactly what the limits/rules are for what you are trying to do, we don't have enough information to help you.

If your promotional code must only match a specific format, you would test in your php code for that format. Since you haven't stated exactly what the limits/rules are for what you are trying to do, we don't have enough information to help you.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do - vaildate that exact string (with the hash tag) - I just don't know what code to use. As I mentioned, I have the code for vaildating whether something is entered, I just need another "if" statement like this:

if (strlen($promocode) == 0 )

{

die("<p align='center'><font face='Arial' size='3' color='#FF0000'>Please enter a valid Promo Code</font></p>");

}

Yes... I really apologize for being such a dunderhead. Think I solved it.

I guess all I really had to do was an if else statement like this:

if ( $promocode == "#BC3333" ) {

echo("<h3>Thank you! Your promotional code has been accepted.</h3>");

} else {

echo "The code you entered is incorrect. Please return and try again.";

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.