Mysql Update Question

Carrie1956

I have a mysql table with the name of the fruit as primary key. If I'm given a new table with NEW names of fruits, I want those to go into my table. However, if the primary key (the fruit) already exists in my first table, I don't want it updated.

For example:

Table 1:

apple red

olive green

Table 2:

olive black

lemon yellow

Since table 1 already has an olive, I don't want the olive from table 2 inserted (even though it's a different color), but I want the lemon inserted into table 1

What is the correct mysql syntax, please? Thank you!!

Hi, thank you for your quick response! Would you mind explaining the stuff I need to type before the "insert ignore" part? I know it will be select into or union or join or something. I have been trying to research this online but I guess I'm feeling kind of dumb today :-) Would it be something like

insert ignore into Original_Table

(select * from New_Table where

New_Table.fruit != Original_Table.fruit);

Thank you!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.