Windows Xp Pro Sp3 How Do I Format Just C Drive?

lovephp

friends my lappy got infected by virus and the c drive got corrupted, i got partions like c, d and e drive and on d and e drive i got data which exist.

Could someone please tell me point by point steps to format only my c drive not the d and e by xp cd please??

I instald the cd presd del key got the boot from cd and then windows setup but after i do not know what to do i get 3 options.

1. Set to windows or something

2. Pres R to repair and i selected the 2nd but then i get a black screen which tels me type something. Am not sure could someone help me please.

It's been a long time since I've done an XP install. If you want to format the C drive then you will need to chose the option that let's you do a new install (i.e. not a repair). I believe you want something that states "To set up Windows XP, press Enter". Once you've started that you should get to a screen where it asks where you want to install it. On that page you also have some basic options for partitioning and formatting. I don't believe you can reformat directly. So, select the C partition and select the option to delete the partition. After going through the steps to confirm that, then select the new unpartitioned space and select it as the location to install windows. I'm pretty sure you can do that. If not, then select the unpartitioned space and select the option to create a new partition and then select that partition as the installation location. After you proceed with the installation, the space will be formatted automatically.

http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-professional-install-guide/

Edited by Psycho

thanks so much il give it a try. Am not too good with al these nor have i ever tried before. So i must delete the C drive and then how wil the C drive be created? Am confused. It sure wont delete data from D and E drives right?

Just follow the directions I linked and you should be fine. As for the data on the other partitions they should not be touched. However, if that data is installed programs or data that installed programs are dependent upon there are no guarantees. Even so, everything as risks. I have deleted and recreated partitions without affecting data many, many times. But, I would never do that when I have important data on the other partitions that is not backed up. The cost of external drives is not that much. If the data is important to you then back it up first to protect it in the case of a catastrophic failure. Besides, hard drives do fail even if you are not reinstalling the operating system.

i did i repair but it did not work so i formated the c drive using erd comander cmd prompt.

I got 1 more question, my lappy came with genuine xp home edition and ths xp isnt genuine so can i again format c drive and install the home edition ön it without losing partation?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.