wright67uk

I have a MySql database

with a similar layout to the below example but with a lot more users, clubs,

dates etc.

Score_table

Dates |club |user_id |score

1/10/12 |3 Iron | 123 | 112

12/10/12 |3 Iron | 123 | 156

What im trying to do is run a query that will display the average score for each month for a particular user;

Select 'Average Score' from 'score_table' where 'club' = 3 Iron and 'user_id' = 123 AND date = october

Does MySql have this capability and how would i correctly write the above query?

I would eventually need to go a step further and write;

Select 'Average Score' from 'score_table' where 'club' = 3 Iron and 'user_id' = 123 FOR each month in 2012

if this isnt possible, then how close can you get?

MySQL has many date functions, but they work with correctly formatted dates. Use DATE or DATETIME format yyyy-mm-dd. Your format can't be used for comparing dates. You will need to use STR_TO_DATE() to reformat to DATE type then USE AVG(score) to calc the average score. You will also need to GROUP BY month

Edited by Barand

Wow! Thanks Barand, I didn't realise that SQL could do all of this. Thankyou very much!!!

After changing the query slightly to fit my table structure (I already had a separate year column etc) I used this...;

SELECT MONTH( STR_TO_DATE( sdate, '%d/%m/%y' ) ) AS `month` , AVG( yard ) AS avscore

FROM `snag`

WHERE club = '3 iron'

AND user_id =5

AND YEAR = '2012'

GROUP BY `month`

which gave me the following results;

month | avscore

8 112.0000 11 110.000

which is brilliant. is it then possible to return an average score of '0' for months with no score, so my table would look more like;

month | avscore

1 | 0

2 | 0

3 | 0

4 | 0

5 | 0

6 | 0

7 | 0

8 | 112.000

9 | 0

10 | 0

11 | 110.000

12 | 0

This way i could feed this info straight into a graph!

To do that you need all month numbers to be present.

Create a table (month_table) with 12 records, 1-12 in the "month" field and use that in the query

SELECT month_table.month , AVG( yard ) AS avscore
FROM  month_table
   LEFT JOIN `snag` ON month_table.month = MONTH( STR_TO_DATE( sdate, '%d/%m/%y' ) )
WHERE club = '3 iron'
AND user_id =5
AND YEAR = '2012'
GROUP BY `month`

IVe been reading up on

IsNull and Coalesce

I didn't really understand the document on this, but I'm guessing somewhere in my query I could add;

IsNull,0 somehow my query? would I be correct in thinking that if no record is returned for a month, then it would display '0' as in my chart above?

By the way, thankyou ever so much for your time in helping me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.