Javascript Regex Multiple Strings Replace?

Manixat

Heya, is there a way to find different strings in a text and replace them depending on the found string using a single replace methog ?

I believe my explanation is worse than bad so I guess I have to give an example:

if I have this sentence "Scott is Bob's best friend and Tod's worst enemy"

if I want to replace scott with greg, bob with jeremy and tod with simon I can do this

text.replace(/scott/,'Greg').replace(/bob/,'Jeremy').replace(/tod/,'Simon');

but my question is if I can do something like this

text.replace(/scott|bob|tod/,/greg|jeremy|simon/)

Is it possible?

EDIT: I know in this case I don't have to use regular expressions, but this is just an example, in my real code I have to use regex

Edited by Manixat

You could create a function that will do it from an array for strings found/replaced. Then like using preg_replace with an array in PHP, you would put the regex for each of the first array, and then the replacement in the second.

Yes, I know I can do that, but my page is running in background so my goal is to use as less CPU as I can that's why I wanna avoid doing loops and using 10+ replace methods

Yes, I know I can do that, but my page is running in background so my goal is to use as less CPU as I can that's why I wanna avoid doing loops and using 10+ replace methods

Even if there was a built in function that allowed you to pass arrays, such as preg_replace allows in HP, how do you think that function would actually perform the logic? it would use loops.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.