Hit counter for each page

sharpcode

I have a video section and what i want is to eventually add a sort by popular button so i am trying to track the views on each video. So i have videos.php which is the gallery page then video.php that has the content shown on it. What i need is for the 'views' column to be incremented for each 'videocode' that gets viewed.

$video = $_REQUEST['code'];

error_reporting(E_ALL); 

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","user","password") or die("Cannot connect");

mysql_select_db("my_db") or die(mysql_error());

$query = "SELECT * FROM videos WHERE code='$video' LIMIT 1";

$result = mysql_query($query,$con) or die("Result Query Error");

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

// print out video and content here

So i figure i need to use $video somehow i am a bit lost with how to get started. Because at the same time i need to use sessions possibly so it doesn't count spam clicks and so on. Any hints or links that can push me in the right direction i would be very happy :)

Rather than just incrementing a counter, you need to use a database table to store all the relevant information, one row per view. You would store the datetime, user_id, video_id, ip address, session_id, and the user-agent of the browser.

Once you have this information stored, you can use it to filter out things like duplicate views by the same user and produce reports on usage.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.