IE Login script issue

williamt74

I am trying to write a secure login for my site using php and javascript to not send a password in plain text.

I am trying to hide and hash the password prior to processing it and giving the user access to the system.

The problem I am havng is only with IE. When i type in the username and password it acts like it will process the page but it just creates a text box on the screen and if i continue to try and "submit" the form it just adds a new text box.

All other browsers i have tried (Firefox, Chrome, Opera and safari) work, IE just won't process the login correctly

what I have for the php is

<script type="text/javascript" src="mine.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="forms.js"></script>
<?php
if(isset($_GET['error'])) {
  echo 'Incorrect Username/Password';
}
?>
<form action="login.php" method="post" name="login_form">
  Username: <input type="text" name="username" /><br />
  Password: <input type="password" name="password" id="password"/><br />
  <input type="button" value="Login" onclick="formhash(this.form, this.form.password);" />
</form>

The javascript is

function formhash(form, password) {
var p = document.createElement("input");
form.appendChild(p);
  p.name = "p";
  p.type = "hidden"
  p.value = hex_mine(password.value);
password.value = "";
form.submit();
}

Any suggestions on what I can look at to try and get this to work with IE.

thanks

Most likely the error happens because your input field is named "password" and you are using a variable called "password" in your function. IE tends to use elements name as objects in Javascript. Try to rename the variable in your functions to something else like "pass".

A tip about security, hashing the input using Javascript doesn't really make any difference since all the Javascript code is executed on the browser and can be reversed very easily. If you are really concerned about users security, just use an SSL certificate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.