how to run .vbs from php

raphael75

I've spent several hours searching and trying different things, but I can't get this script to run. It is called by a web page:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

if($_POST['store_list'] && $_POST['start_date'] && $_POST['end_date']){
$cmd = 'wscript.exe <path_to_script>/my_script.vbs /store_list:"' . urldecode($_POST['store_list']) . '" /start_date:"' . urldecode($_POST['start_date']) . '" /end_date:"' . urldecode($_POST['end_date']) . '"';

$ws = new COM('WScript.Shell');

$ws->Run('cmd /c ' . $cmd, 0, false);
}

I tried:

• with & without wscript.exe, cscript.exe, cmd /c, cmd.exe /c, cmd.exe /c /k
  • referencing the path to the .vbs file with /, \, and \\
  • exec()
  • shell_exec()

When I run the script from the command line it works perfectly.

The .vbs file is in a path outside the wwwroot folder. I set the permissions on the .vbs file & the folder it's in to allow read & execute for the Internet Guest Account.

The web page seems to indicate the script is being executed but nothing happens. Process Explorer only shows the error: "[Error opening process]" but no other information.

Please help.

Edited by raphael75

And what verifications have you done?

1. You say you have executed the script from a command prompt, but are you manually typing the string in or did you try the dynamically generated string? You are using variable in constructing that string so they may not contain what you think they do. The if() condition is only verifying that those POST variables exist - not that they actually have a value. Echo the command string to the page and then run THAT from the command line.

2. Is the path to the vbs file explicit (i.e. "C:\folder\") or relative (i.e. "\folder\")? If it is relative, it will need to be relative from the folder that the web server is running from (not the folder that the PHP file is executed from). At least this is what I found from my testing. So, in my XAMPP installation my path to the VBS file was relative from the root of the "xampp" root folder not the "htdocs" folder.

Edited by Psycho

1. I tried both manually typing the command on the command line and pasting in the command line that the script is generating. Both work.

2. I was referencing the path to the script with an absolute path like:

c:\path\to\file\my_script.vbs

I also tried replacing the \'s with \\ and with /

And what verifications have you done?

1. You say you have executed the script from a command prompt, but are you manually typing the string in or did you try the dynamically generated string? You are using variable in constructing that string so they may not contain what you think they do. The if() condition is only verifying that those POST variables exist - not that they actually have a value. Echo the command string to the page and then run THAT from the command line.

2. Is the path to the vbs file explicit (i.e. "C:\folder\") or relative (i.e. "\folder\")? If it is relative, it will need to be relative from the folder that the web server is running from (not the folder that the PHP file is executed from). At least this is what I found from my testing. So, in my XAMPP installation my path to the VBS file was relative from the root of the "xampp" root folder not the "htdocs" folder.

I made some changes trying psexec, but it still isn't working. However, it runs perfectly from the command line. I think it's gotta be close and it may have something to do with quoting/escaping double quotation marks or /'s or \'s, but I don't know what it's looking for:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

if($_POST['store_list'] && $_POST['start_date'] && $_POST['end_date']){

echo 'processing<br><br>';

$cmd = 'psexec \\<computername.domainname.com> -u <username> -p <password> -e c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe c:\scripts\labor\scheduled\labor.vbs /store_list:"store1;store2" /start_date:"2013-01-21" /end_date:"2013-01-24"';

echo $cmd.'<br><br>';

$out = shell_exec($cmd);

echo '[' . $out.']<br><br>';

echo '<br>end';

}
else{
echo 'no data';
}

I tried putting in the full path to the file but it still didn't work. I've determined that it's some sort of permissions issue. I get this error when cscript.exe tries to run:

CScript Error: Loading your settings failed. (Access is denied. )

It's running on iis Win 2008.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.