Add select (dropdown) boxes using jQuery

jenkins

Hi,

I need to implement a function that will allow a user to add a <select> (dropdown) box when clicking a button and be able to keep adding a <select> when clicking the button.

I am totally new to jQuery but this is what I have so far:

<label for="characteristic" id="characteristic_label">Add Characteristic</label>

<input type="button" id="buttonToAddChar" value="Add" style="cursor:pointer;" />
<div id="newCharacteristic" style="display:block; width:100px;"></div>

<script>
$("#buttonToAddChar").click(function () {
     var newChar = $("<select/>");
     $(newChar).append("<option><?PHP echo "Select from list"; ?></option>");
     $("#newCharacteristic").append(newChar);

});
</script>

This does work (screenshot attached) but I need to add the following features:

1. The options for each <select> dropdown should come from a mySQL query (and each additional <select> added should not contain the option chosen in previous <select> dropdowns)

2. Add the option for a user to remove a <select> previously added (I think another function, right?)

3. Submit/save the option chosen in each <select> to a mySQL table (I can do this using a form, but what is the best way to get the option chosen from each dropdown?)

Am I going in the right direction?  How difficult is this going to be for a jQuery newbie?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

post-138495-0-84614200-1362308940_thumb.png

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.