Using a wordpress site's databse with a non-wordpress site

alawson

I am a visual basic developer and I developed a program for my work.  The SQL database is local but there was one aspect of sharing between co-workers that needed developed.  So, I created an ISP and HelpDesk add/search/update feature using php and mysql hosted on a single domain through godaddy.  As the program grew more popular within the US and overseas I installed wordpress on the same domain.  The wordpress site is a support desk site that has a knowledgebase, trouble ticket and a blog.

Btw - sorry for the long intro but I wanted to be in depth as possible. 

Here is the process:

1.  I give the co-worker the website.

2. www.domain.com goes directly to a login or register page

3. Person registers or logs in and has immediate access

4. Person downloads the software, installs and runs

5. The program has a section with an internal browser and chooses to view the ISP lookup

6.  But, before he can he must login

Now, the username and password I want the user to be authenticated against is the same username and password stored in the wordpress database.  I want the form to be created outside of wordpress too.  Is it possible for this to be done?  I have a feeling that it's not as simple as just pointing it to the correct spot but I am going to have trouble with the hashing wordpress does with the data.

I am already able to do the following:

I have created an html login form that points to a login_process.php form

Inside the login_process form it calls on the config.php which has the connection to the database. (no problems connecting to the server, database or table)

The issue is the username and password authenticating.

I have ran this through so many times I just want to start fresh.  I've gotten a little confused googling so many different styles and types of resources.   If I can keep it simple that's awesome.

I'm thinking you would be more likely to find help in an Wordpress forum. We are PHP folk here, and while some of us are likely to have WP experience, it's a subset of our skills, whereas on a Wordpress forum, it will be the primary skillset.

LOL...that's too funny.  I was told the same thing by the wordpress folks.  Saying that what I am doing is outside of wordpress and I should ask general php developers.  Thanks for replying though.  If I find out on my own or someone helps me outside of here I'll be sure to post my findings.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.